Thursday, September 28, 2006

Week Five College Picks

Well, last week, I had a less-than-stellar performance, going 4-3, and getting a cheap win when Ohio State got a lucky interception-for-touchdown to cover in the closing minutes of it's game. And that 'laugher' I predicted in Georgia almost became an Upset of the Week, but at least they salvaged a win. But the only team that truly disappointed me was my beloved Sun Devils, getting their asses handed to them by those dirty hippies from Cal.

And even though I only went 4-3, I still picked up two places on the field, and now I'm in seventh place in my pool. Let's see if I can pick up a couple more spots with the following picks:

1) Georgia -18 over Ole Miss. Yeah, I know they barely beat a bad Colorado team by only a point in the closing seconds last weekend, but now we've found that our third string quarterback is pretty damn good. No messing around in this SEC matchup, Georgia should cover. But a game like this almost makes me wish I were back in Nashville working at my old job trading equities. Almost. Both my boss and the obnoxious bond trader at the desk next to mine were Ole Miss alums, and I think the opportunity to go back and talk some smack on Monday morning would be a lot of fun. But all things being equal, I'd rather just be here in Vegas.

2) Nebraska -21 over Kansas. *Pick of the Week* Not that Nebraska is that good, but nobody in college football, and I mean nobody, can run up the score on a weaker conference opponent like the Huskers. Cornholers win big, and this one is likely over by halftime.

3) Miami -16 over Houston. I should've made this my POTW, since I probably would've taken Miami even if they were giving up another ten points. Look for the Hurricanes to go Phi Slamma Jamma and unleash the perfect storm on New Orleans West in an attempt to regains some lost credibility.

4) Vanderbilt -34 over Temple. Yes folks, you read that correctly. That SEC powerhouse, the Mighty Commodores of Vanderbilt University are favored by 30+ points this week! Of course, they're playing a hapless Temple team that couldn't conjure up a winning record in Division III, and word around the campfire is that after this weekend, the books in Vegas will no longer take any action on Temple. Get in on the party before it's over!

5) Florida -13 over the Crimson Laundry Soap. Just off the top of my head, I don't think that Alabama has covered the spread yet this year (except for last weekend). I could be wrong, but I know they've played ugly in every game. And playing in The Swamp is probably going to be too big a task for them. I think the Gators will probably run it up.

6) Tennessee -16 over Memphis. This game rounds out my week of going against my code and picking all favorites to cover. Outsiders might think that this matchup should have the flavor of a 'rivalry' game but since the schools are so far apart geographically, it's more like the Hillbilly version of University of Texas-El Paso versus Houston. In other words, nobody but the locals care. And the two schools couldn't be more different. If you've ever met anyone from Knoxville, Chattanooga, or anywhere along the I-75 corridor, they have something of a superiority complex and will, without fail, tell you that they are from East Tennessee. Not a specific city, not just 'Tennesee', but always East Tennessee. Ever meet anyone from Memphis? Of course not--nobody from there will admit it in polite company. If they are from the Memphis area, they will always tell you what bedroom community they live in. I'm not from Memphis, I'm from Germantown... It's like saying that you're from Detroit. Once that's out in the open, people tend to give you a wide berth.

Anyhow, those are my five star picks of the week. And you didn't have to call a $20-per-minute 900-number to get 'em, either.

Mikey

Last Week: 4-3

Season: 17-11

Winning percentage versus the spread: .607

No comments: