Saturday, September 09, 2006

Peg Leg

I was happily snoozing away my afternoon in front of ESPN News reruns when I was awoke to the sound of our old dog, Butch, going absolutely apeshit in the carport (which is gated, but right next to my bedroom). Only one thing causes the dog to go that crazy, and that's the UPS man.

Woo Hoo! Another package for Mikey. Yes, my man-clogs had arrived. Good thing, too. My Propets were starting to get uncomfortable and give me a blister, and my Reeboks were starting to wear out. And my right foot is still very tender from dropping an ammunition box on it a couple of weeks ago, so I was looking forward to a new set of shoes to wear to work last night. These clogs look like black dress shoes from the front, but damn, do they ever feel like flip-flops. And the cuffs of my pants hide the rest of the shoe, so nobody can tell that they are backless.

But when I put them on for the first time, I realized that I probably did break a bone in my foot. It's pretty swollen--and I could only tell because my brand-new right shoe was a lot more snug--which is the case with all of my other shoes I've been wearing lately. I just hadn't really looked at it.

I mean really, how often do you look at a man's feet?

So I'll probably have to go to the doctor, but there's probably not much I can do but try to stay off of it--it's like a busted collarbone, just give it time to heal. Maybe take some Tylenol or Aleve to keep it from swelling as much. But it's been very tender for awhile now.

But the new shoes felt good on the feet, and it was cool to be able to kick one off while I was behind the table, and slip it back on with nobody noticing when it was time to go.

Work went pretty fast last night, and I did tokes and we seemed to have made a good chunk of change, making the night worth it.

I could go on to a long diatribe about a loser I busted last night, and enjoyed every minute of it, but I think I'll hold off. It's too soon and I don't want to sound too spiteful, but yeah, I've had a smug grin on my face ever since I took the last of his $2000 and put it in my rack. And the other dealers on my string that had to put up with him were giving me the "We're not worthy!" bow back in the dining room afterwards...

Heh.

Sometimes work is fun.

Mikey

No comments: