Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Changing Tastes

Regular readers know of my fondness for Metro Pizza. I would normally eat there a couple times a month, and I'd always get the same thing--a small pepperoni and sausage pizza. Once in a great while, I'd change it up, maybe try a ham and pineapple (good) or add mushrooms (not so good).

Also, since I just recently discovered that they offer delivery, I've tried to call a couple of times to take advantage of it, but unfortunately, every time I've called, they said that wait times were in the neighborhood of two hours. So I've had carryout a couple of times, and most recently last weekend while enjoying a day of football. And while I can't speak for delivery, the carryout pizzas held up very well in the 8-minute drive from store to home.

As much as I love Metro's pies, their large pizzas have a totally different crust than their smaller 9-inch counterparts. Yes, I'm aware that you can request a thinner crust, but they've always been inconsistent. The only true large NY-style slices I've had were at the Ellis Island outlet.

So large pizzas are out. It's not that they're not good, it's just that they're not as good as I know they can be. And while the small pizzas are excellent, I've figured out that I don't like their toppings as much as I thought I did. First of all, the pepperoni and sausage seem too salty. And the mushrooms--oh my god--they were so salty that I thought they were cured in brine like olives. They were almost inedible.

I guess I'm saying that as good as I thought Metro was, and it's still very good, it's just not as good as say, NY Pizza & Pasta (which I reviewed earlier this past summer). So I suppose that means that if I want to enjoy a Metro Pizza, I'm going to stick with a plain old cheese pizza, and it's hard to get excited about a cheese pizza.

I guess if I want really great pizza, I'm either going to have to drive over to the West Side, or get back down to Phoenix for a slice or two of Brooklyn Family from NYPD.

Mikey

No comments: