Monday, July 17, 2006

A Change In the Wind

Happy Monday, everyone!

Since last night was the end of a very long, busy, and rewarding pay period, I managed to talk the floor manager into letting me out two hours early. Actually, when I came back from break and he was looking at the roadmap for a table to send me to, I think my exact words were something along the lines of You know, if it takes longer than ten seconds to find a spot for me, you should probably just go ahead and send me home...

His response was I don't see you. (Wink wink...) Taking the hint, I ran for the door before he could change his mind.

Work was much slower and more dull last night, and I had a lot of free time sitting on dead games, so taking the early out was a no-brainer for me. Besides, we've been so busy lately that I have to work six days next week. The money's good, but I don't think I'm too happy about only having one day off. In other news, I found out that I got a big 15-cent-per-hour raise this week, too. Apparently the big bosses realize what a hotshot dealer I am, and are rewarding me with a bigger carrot!

Anyhow, while sitting around waiting for players, I made a mental list of about a dozen things I need to accomplish today, from the mundane laundry and housecleaning chores, to doing stuff like listing all of the topics I've been wanting to write about, but too busy to do so. I'm also going to peel off another couple hundred dollar bills this weekend and buy a new corner- shaped workstation to replace the old desk I've been using that's too small and also the wrong height. I'm also going to get an upright entertainment center to put in my room, too. Those two items will create a whole lot more space in my bedroom and hopefully it won't seem so cluttered in here.

I'd also like to go and get the truck washed and detailed--after I washed it the other day, it got hit by the sprinklers in the front yard and now it's got ugly water spots all over it. But I may have to wait to do that. As I was driving to work last night, it was very warm and calm when I left the house, but by the time I got to Green Valley Pkwy, there was a lot of palm bark swirling around in the road and all of the trees were straining and pointing north. Not only that, but visibility was cut down considerably while a huge dust storm blew in. By the time I got out of the truck at work, it felt like God had turned on His hairdryer.

Having lived in the desert for so many years, a strong contrary wind usually means rain will follow. But not this time--if it rained, none of it hit the roof of the parking garage at work. I don't know if we have a monsoon season like we did in Phoenix, but now's about the time it should start raining every afternoon.

I'm not going back to poker school today--I'm going to wait and go tomorrow. Basically I'm finished, but I just need to knock the rust off and practice. But I'll know what my new schedule is like after next Saturday, so hopefully soon I can go ahead and start looking for that day job dealing Hold Em.

Mikey

No comments: