Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Care Package

Woo Hoo!

The UPS man, er, woman was especially thoughtful last night, dropping off a package of goodies for me from one of my favorite vendors, Amazon.com. It seems that I found an old gift certificate for fifty bucks in my desk drawer that I'd forgotten about, so I put it to good use last week.

On top of the box was Silent America: Essays from a Democracy at War by Bill Whittle. Just fantastic reading--I haven't been able to put it down, ensuring that while I only have one day off this week, I won't be using it to catch up on sleep. Some folks might think (having not read any of the content) that it's a political book, but they'd be wrong. It's really a modern philosophy book that isn't boring. More like, what it means to be an American at this point in history--I liken it to a modern-day version of Thomas Paine's Common Sense. I can't recommend it highly enough. And yeah, it's $30 for a paperback book--but it's worth every penny.

The second book in the box was Hal Roth's How to Sail Around the World. I can't wait to dive into that one. I already own his earlier book Always a Distant Anchorage which is a great read, but it seems a little dated. Besides, while that one was more of a travelogue, this one seems to be more of advice and tips on actually making the trip--almost a textbook about what to expect when I finally make the leap myself.

That should keep me busy for awhile.

Mikey

No comments: