Sunday, January 08, 2006

Eddie & The King

I should've posted first thing this morning, but I was exhausted when I got home from work at just before 6 am this morning, so I went straight to bed. But I only got about three hours of sleep because my alarm went off at 9:15.

Anyhow, today is a birthday for two of the coolest people ever, Elvis Presley and my buddy Eddie B. Both have provided a rich vein of comedy inspiration over the years, from my Ghost of Elvis Halloween costume back in 1999, to Eddie displaying his mad negotiating skills at the strip club the first time we ever hung out together. Tonight I raise a glass of the good stuff to both of them--the world is a better place because they've trod upon it.

So now that the important stuff is out of the way, why did I have my alarm set for 9:15 this morning after working all night? Well, my good friends Kelly & Dane were arriving from North Carolina, and I'd offered to pick them up at the airport. But first I had to get up and wash the ghetto sled--more problems with incontinent birds, plus it has rained a few times this past week making the car look especially dirty.

But I dragged myself out of bed, showered, ran my errands, and still got to the baggage claim about five minutes before they did. Once we left the airport we had to make a few stops so they could stock up on the 'essentials' for their week-long visit, so our first order of business was to plunder the wares at Lee's Discount Liquors.

While they loaded up their shopping cart with various bottles of spirits and mixers, I stood worshipping at the Wall of Rum. I have never seen such a great selection--rums I had never heard of stacked floor to ceiling high, beckoning me with their siren song. My mouth was watering at the prospects. I swear I got a glimpse of what Russian defectors used to feel like the first time their CIA handlers took them to an American grocery store.

In Soviet Union we have only one kind rum. We call it 'wodka'.

After much perusing, I settled on one bottle to add to my growing collection--a bottle of Mt Gay Special Reserve. I haven't cracked it open yet, but it's sitting there on my shelf, just out of reach, batting it's eyes at me and giving me that 'come hither' look...

So after the liquor purchases were made and stowed, we made a quick stop at the grocery store for a few more items that they needed, then we stopped for lunch at Metro Pizza for some NY Style thin-crust goodness and a pitcher of beer. Great pizza!

We finally made it down to the strip, and I dropped them off at the Aladdin. I immediately drove home and passed out in front of the playoff games on tv. Speaking of which, I went 2 out of 4 on my picks, which is just good enough to go broke here in Vegas.

Nobody will every confuse me with Lefty Rosenthal.

Of course, like everyone else out there, I knew it was over for the Bengals as soon as Carson Palmer's knee blew out. But the highlight of the day was the industrial sized can of ass-whoop that the Panthers opened up on the Giants. I loved seeing them go down in flames, especially because of all of the creepy man-love heaped upon them by the biased east-coast sports media, and the fact that the NFL cheated them into winning the NFC East by giving them an extra home game this year.

Luckily, I'm too much of a wuss to put my money where my mouth is, and I made no wagers regarding this weekend's NFL action. Another bullet dodged.

However, there is much happiness and rejoicing in the Hurricane Mikey household on this day. Last night at work our shift manager told me that he'd be moving me up to full-time within the next week or two. Score! Finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train this time.

I need to prepare myself for working five days a week from now on, instead of three. Guess I better take a nap.

Mikey

No comments: