Friday, January 27, 2006

Eating My List

Besides New York, and maybe San Francisco and Chicago, Vegas has got to be the best city in America for it's variety of good restaurants. I've had some especially good meals in this city--and not all of them at the fancy spots that everyone thinks about. From a serendipitous visit to Ellis Island for steak and eggs, to a surprisingly excellent prime rib meal at the Cortez Room at the Gold Coast, Las Vegas is a never ending conveyor belt of great meals, a gastronomic adventure one could call The Neverending Story had the name not already been taken.

You already know my affinity for breakfast at the Peppermill, steaks at Fiore, fish at Ortanique, and a no-frills lunch at the Binion's Snack Bar. But there are soooo many more places to try. Since I plan on living here until the day I cast off the lines forever and head for that tropical horizon, I may as well enjoy it. And since I like to eat even more than I like to write, I've decided to explore all of the great restaurants available to me, one at a time, and share my experiences with you all. Who knows...several years down the road, I might have enough material gathered to actually publish a book.

So as much as I'd like to be a culinary Christopher Columbus, sailing off into the fine dining unknown, I have no European queen as a patron. So it's gonna be done pretty much out-of-pocket. My own pocket, that is. I'll hit a new place maybe twice a month, more if I'm lucky or especially flush with cash. It should be a fun experience, and besides, who says you have to gamble in this town just to have a good time?

Just sitting around in my room I came up with the following list right off the top of my head--places I haven't been yet and would like to try. As always, additional suggestions are welcome.

Delmonico
Emeril's Fish House
The Palm
Prime
Eiffel Tower
Mon Ami Gabi
Bally's Sterling Brunch
Nob Hill
Michael Mina (Bellagio)
Bouchon
Stack
808
Aquaknox
Capo's
2nd Street Grill
Piero's
China Grill
Nobu
Daniel Boulud Brasserie
Pamplemousse
Seablue
NY Pizza & Pasta
America
Carluccio's Tivoli Gardens
Casa Di Amore
La Scala
Bradley Ogden
Firefly (on Paradise)
Fix
Mesa Grill
Rosemary's
3950
Olives
Rosewood Grille
William B's
Sonoma Cellar
Circus Circus Steakhouse
Aureole
Smith & Wollensky

And again, that's just off the top of my head--I'm sure there are more great places to try that I've never been to or probably even heard of. And of course, if anyone out there would like to join me in this adventure whenever they are in town, by all means, let me know (This means you, Dave P!).

I'll probably start within the next two weeks--I've got that first 'full time' paycheck coming up, and nothing but a cellphone and cable bill due.

I can't wait to get started.

Mikey

No comments: