Tuesday, January 24, 2006

American Badass


I just finished watching hour five of the latest season of 24, and I'd have to say that from what I've seen so far, Kiefer Sutherland is this generation's John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Seriously, is there anyone besides Jack Bauer you'd rather have on your side when The Shit Hits The Fan?

I didn't think so.

He's like an ass-kicking McGuyver that doesn't need to toss out a goofy one-liner ala Ah-nuld once he's finished kicking said ass. And I like how he lays down a Jason Bourne-type beating when he gets jumped, without the Zapruder-film cinematography needed to convey the surprise of the ambush. I just wish I knew what kind of beer he drank, so I could Be Like Jack. The network is missing out on a huge marketing opportunity here... Regardless, it's still the best show on tv, nothing else comes close.

As great a show as it is, I can't help the nagging feeling I get that tells me that it would be an even better book. But that's a small quibble. And the fact that I have to work on Monday nights reinforces my belief that Tivo is one of mankind's greatest inventions. Add Netflix and pizza delivery to that list, and you have the Holy Trinity to the true-believers among the couch potato sect.

Damn, I can't believe that I have to wait another week.

Mikey

No comments: