Saturday, December 17, 2005

More Holiday Music


Basically, all of the music I hear these days is of the holiday variety. Thankfully the people that make decisions at work have ditched the XM-25 'The Blend' station that's normally playing overhead (musically, the gayest shiat ever) and went with the Christmas station. And of course while I'm sleeping or just kicking around the house, I keep my tv on the 'Sounds of the Seasons' channel.

Since I listen to so much of it, I have to ask--Can anyone butcher a perfectly good Christmas song worse than your average jazz musician? And there is only one song that makes my ears bleed faster than Barbra Streisand's version of Jingle Bells--you know which one I'm talking about--that God awful Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney. I know, I rag on his shitty music all the time, but that song has planted itself firmly on the summit of the dung-heap of his post-Beatles career. I bet he hates the fact that John Lennon's Happy Christmas, War is Over is a huge favorite that has been remade and covered hundreds of times, while nobody will touch his own craptacular holiday offering. Unfortunately, the crack-addled brains of radio station program directors across the nation foist this musical bowel movement on us at least once a day during the holiday season. It's tough to avoid.

But enough is enough. Give me Perry Como, Burl Ives, the Boston Pops, Mo-Tab, Bing Crosby, and the rest of the greats that actually had a bit of talent. I can listen to them all day.

Mikey

No comments: