Friday, December 30, 2005

At Least It's Not an Xbox

I've never been much of a 'gadget guy'. I'm always the last person to get the latest thing. I didn't get a Walkman until my junior year of high school, when everyone else got one my sophomore year. I never owned a pager back in the early 90s, and I resisted getting a cell phone for years, until getting burned by roommates with phone bills forced me to provide for myself and nobody else. I still don't own an Ipod. My home computer runs the Windows Millenium Editon. Basically, I've always been on the trailing edge of technology.

But there is one new gadget out there that has caught my fancy and I'm thinking really hard about purchasing for myself--a new Razr phone from Motorola. I don't know why I want one so badly--it's just a phone. But it's sooooo cool. I've seen a few people at work that have them, and they all love 'em. And even though it's pretty thin, it's wide enough for my fat hands and the buttons seem to be big enough that I won't be pressing the wrong ones all the time like I do with my current cell phone. And it doesn't look like it'll be obsolete anytime soon, either. I've had three different cell phones now, and all three looked dated soon after I figured out how to use them.

Another plus is that the SIM card from my current phone will work with the new Razr. If I buy one, I won't have to spend an entire afternoon entering new information, and typing stuff in by phone keys is a special pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned.

Although my current cell phone is less than a year old, compared to the sleek and sexy lines of the Razr, mine is a '77 Nova with a primer-colored door and duct tape on the upholstery. I think it's time for an upgrade.

Mikey

No comments: