Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Scratch One

Ok! It looks like I get to mark off the first restaurant from my list next week. Partner-in-crime Andrea is joining me for dinner at Andre's at the Monte Carlo. Our first choice was Delmonico, but we couldn't get reservations at a decent time, so we looked further down the list. I was also going to try The Palm at Caesars, but I'm thinking that might be more of a lunch stop.

But when I'd put together my original list, it was just off the top of my head and I'd forgotten about Andre's. Luckily astute reader 'Big Tips' mentioned it with the first comment, so I've added it right there at the top. And Andrea and I have already had some good times there at Monte Carlo, so I figured it was a win/win should we opt to give it a try.

Well, we looked over their menu today and agreed that it looked pretty damn good. So we're really looking forward to it. I'm still kind of a babe in the woods as far as gourmet food is concerned, I even had to call up Hoya this afternoon and ask her what Osso Buco was--I knew it was some sort of veal dish, but all I've ever had is veal marsala or veal parmesan. Anyhow, after drooling over the menu for a half hour, I've narrowed it down to a few choices--

For Hors D'oeuvres I'm going back and forth between the lobster crepe or the black truffle risotto. Maybe I can talk Andrea into getting one and I'll get the other... I'll definitely be having the French Onion Soup, er, Potage. Whenever I'm in a nice restaurant I like to try the French Onion Soup--I like it even better than lobster bisque, and what better place to have it than in a French restaurant?

For the main course, it's a complete toss up. At first glance, the thing that sounded the best to me was the seafood ravioli, but it's the cheapest thing on the menu, and there's got to be a reason for that. Of course, I'd really love to try the Osso Buco, too. But then, that 2 lb. Maine lobster sure sounds tasty, and I know how good that would be.

Decisions, decisions.

If there is any room left, well, we've just got to have dessert and coffee. A chocolate and Grand Marnier souffle? Are you kidding me? Sold! Although, I have no idea what 'chilled saboyan' is. Of course that hazelnut dessert sounds damn good too.

Is there anything better than anticipation?

Oh well, I've got plenty of time to make up my mind. After looking over the menu, we've decided that neither one of us is going to eat anything at all that day--just to make sure that we can take full advantage of everything. It all sounds so good, it'd be a pity to leave anything unfinished.

Afterwards, however, I look forward to going upstairs and checking out their 'cigar & spirits' lounge. I think that after a meal like that, an hour or so of relaxing on a comfy couch and enjoying a fancy drink and good conversation might be the perfect ending to a perfect evening.

I can't wait.

Mikey

No comments: