Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Now Showing...

I guess I must've been a good boy last month at work--it turns out that I won a bunch of free movie passes. I guess the Table Games department holds a drawing at the end of each month for the people who've had perfect attendance, with the prize being movie passes. Anyhow, I found out the other day that I was one of the four winners for the month of January. Woo Hoo!

Of course, I've now been in Vegas for almost a full year now (has it really been that long?), and I haven't set foot inside of a movie theatre since I've been here--except for that one Sunday afternoon where I went to the Imax at the Luxor. That's kind of different--back when I lived in Phoenix, I used to go to movies all the time on my days off, paying for one and sneaking into a second one. So I've missed all the big movies of the past year. Of course, judging from the Oscar nominations, it seems that I really didn't miss much at all. But there were a few that I've wanted to see, but just never found the time to go see 'em--Wedding Crashers, Serenity, The Great Raid, Walk the Line, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc. But since I missed them, they're all on my wish list at Amazon, although I doubt I'll buy any of them anytime soon. First I'm gonna have to restart my Netflix membership, because I would never buy a DVD before actually seeing the movie.

But thanks to watching the Super Bowl and seeing the previews, there are two new movies on the horizon that I'm going to be sure to see. Of course I cannot wait to see the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, Dead Man's Chest. And I've secretly wanted Hollywood to do a more modern remake of The Poseidon Adventure for years, so when I saw that commercial I got pretty excited. I wonder what the odds are of Gene Hackman or Frank Dreben making a cameo... Now if we could only talk Spielberg into remaking Jaws with 21st-century digital technology, it would be the scariest movie of all time, likely creating an entire generation of people allergic to salt water.

And if Vinnie Chase and James Cameron would get off their asses and start shooting Aquaman, I'd have yet another movie to look forward to!

In the meantime, I'm content to watch Sopranos reruns while anxiously awaiting the next episode of 24 to hit my Tivo. Speaking of, this also seems like a good time to tout my early endorsement for our next Commander in Chief:



Jack would never be a Democrat, and John McCain couldn't carry his jock. But Audrey Raines wouldn't be a half-bad First Lady, and of course having Elisha Cuthbert around would certainly make us forget about the pitifully unattractive Spawn of Clinton that had the unfortunate luck to spring from the Hildebeast's loins.

Mikey

No comments: