Wednesday, February 22, 2006

National Geographic Day in Vegas

It was such a beautiful day that I figured that I should get out and do something, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. The first stop was for lunch, and the local by-the-slice joint down the road from me offers a pretty good weekday deal of two slices of cheese pizza and a Coke for $3.75. Not quite as tasty as Metro Pizza, but still not too shabby. For another fifty cents I added pepperoni, so it's not a bad lunch for less than five bucks.

After lunch I went on a little photo safari around town, starting south of the airport and ending up down on Fremont Street. Here are a few of the shots that I got: (Remember, clicky for full-sized goodness!)


This one was taken from the McCarran 'overlook' on Sunset Road. A load of happy tourists descends upon my fair city, with a thousand new stories about to unfold.


From this vantage point, Circus Circus is behind the Wynn, not across the street. It's just another one of those Vegas optical illusions, kind of like how everyone here is rich and attractive.


The sign out in front of the Hilton worries me. Advertising for Barry Manilow and the Star Trek experience tells me that they're not marketing to my particular demographic--straight guys that don't live in their parent's basement.


The Turnberry Towers. If I were a meat packer from Nebraska, I'd probably buy a condo here. Especially since they almost block the view of the Shiatasphere.


If I ever meet Ms. Right, we'll be getting hitched here by an Elvis Impersonator. How will I know when I meet Ms. Right? Because she will agree to getting hitched here by an Elvis Impersonator.


Traffic on Fremont Street came to a complete stop so that one of the high rollers at the Western could relocate.


A bum's eye view of the Fremont Street Experience, taken, appropriately enough, from the sunroof of the Ghetto Sled.


When shopping for toiletries at the local Walgreens, it's customary to actually pay for them upon departing the premises.

That's all for today. I really wanted to get a picture of the new 'Hairspray' sign on the front of the Luxor, but there was no place to pull over with a good vantage point until it was too late. Maybe next time.

Mikey

No comments: