Thursday, February 16, 2006

Lunatic Fringe

Well, it looks like the wind finally died down last night, but it was a cold one. I woke up this morning feeling a little chilled--having one entire wall in my bedroom made entirely of glass keeps me fairly tuned in to immediate temperature changes--so turning on the weather channel I saw that it was in the mid-30s. Screw that--that's too cold for a thin-blooded desert-dweller like myself.

On the plus side, the high winds that we had yesterday made the sky about as clear as it's ever been. Last night around 7:30 I had to run down to Office Max to pick up a couple of things, (and of course stopped by Del Taco for a 99-cent burrito and a couple of Macho Tacos), but when I got back home I was fascinated by the scene in the eastern sky.

First of all, the moon is still nearly full, and since it was just a few degrees above the horizon at that time of night, it looked especially huge. But what completed the surreal picture were all of the airplanes lining up for approach as far as the eye could see, and the straight line of lights in the sky gradually getting smaller in the distance until they faded into the blur of the moon behind them, like a bunch of lunar spitballs coming right at me.

Made me wish I had a high-quality digital camera and the ability to shoot decent night-time photos.

Actually, that's the second time in a week I wanted to take a cool picture of the night sky. Last week during the 'official' full moon phase, I was outside in the driveway around 2:00 in the morning thinking that it was especially bright out, but over on the western horizon the full moon-from my vantage point-was directly behind the beam of the Luxor, giving it a pretty cool science-fictiony effect. I couldn't help but to stand and stare for a few moments.

Maybe a telescope would be a fun toy to have instead of a Red Ryder BB gun.

Mikey

No comments: