Friday, February 17, 2006

Riding on the Metro...

I've been out running errands all morning long, but I wanted to post a little bit before I took an afternoon nap. Work was dead slow last night after midnight--I spent an hour standing around not dealing a hand, so when they asked me for the third time if I wanted to go home, I took three hours of Early Out time. Ugh. I've been trying to avoid it, but I figure if I only have five or six hours in a pay period, then it's probably worth my sanity. But the last time I left three hours early on a slow Thursday night, I came back the next night to find out that I would've made $230 if I'd worked the entire eight hours...

Anyhow, I got up early this morning, got dressed and headed out the door. I had to go to the bank, the gas station, the post office, the dry cleaners, etc etc etc. I also took a swing by Best Buy for a quick reminder of why I hate to shop there--buncha damn unhelpful pimply faced teenagers cranking up shitty hip-hop music to annoying levels. Plus they didn't have the office chair I was looking for, either. But I found one on sale at Office Max (they weren't there last night) for only $59, and there were only two left by the time I got there. So I snagged it. Since it was so much cheaper than I budgeted for, I picked up a few more office supplies and treated myself to a nice lunch.

I wanted to go to a place that I drive by a couple times a week called the Chianti Cafe--it's in a strip mall about a block and a half off of Sunset and Green Valley. But when I drove up I saw that they're only open for dinner. Since I had my mind set on Italian and not really wanting to drive all over creation or down to the Strip to satisfy my urge, I opted for the old reliable Metro Pizza on Tropicana. Not only was it as wonderful as ever--about the closest I'll ever get to real NY Pizza until I go to Brooklyn and visit Sammi & Frank--but a couple of 24 oz. Newcastle drafts put me in a good mood after my frustrating stop at Best Buy.

While I was out I also visited 'The Gun Store'--that place, also on Tropicana, where you can rent machine guns. Besides going full-on Bonnie & Clyde style, they have a retail store too. The fellow I was talking to at first was really nice--he showed me a pretty sweet Modified Springfield 1911 .45. It had all the work done on it that I would do, but it's brand new in the box that way. Of course it was a bit pricey at just under $700. I'm finding out that like real estate, guns ain't cheap out here in Nevada. They also said that they normally stock Walther P-22's, which I'm actually in the market for first, but they were currently sold out.

I think I'm gonna wait until I get the new computer before I buy any new guns, though. I use the computer much more... Besides, after I expressed interest in the Springfield, the guy in charge at the store really turned me off with his hard-sell, trying to get me to believe that Springfields are hard to get and I should act right away. Whatever dude...I can *always* find a 1911 for sale somewhere...

Mikey

No comments: