Thursday, February 09, 2006

In Response

Apparently, I've had ONE person offended by my 'Jack Bauer for President' paragraph in my last post... So I shall respond.

E-Z Mikey! I like you and all, but political speech (from the other side of aisle) is surely the ONLY way you could alienate me, and, well, others similarly situated. Thus, it may be unwise to espouse your political views in the face of such daunting political times (read: pre-emptive war in Iraq, illegal wire taps, Abramhoff scandal, Katrina, et al.), exacerbated by the touting of the very controversial figure: Jack Bauer --though, unlike you, I am willing to admit that I like someone from the other party, namely one John McCain.
No disrespect, my man, but dissing on Clinton is tired and, well, intellectually lazy of you.
Take care my good man.

David

Ok, I need to respond to a couple of points. So here goes.

"I like you and all, but political speech (from the other side of aisle) is surely the ONLY way you could alienate me, and, well, others similarly situated."

Unfortunately, there are no 'others'. Well, at least nobody else has spoken up. Between the comments section and the e-mail box, all responses have been exactly opposite of yours. But at least I'm meeting my goal of offending at least one person per month.

"it may be unwise to espouse your political views in the face of such daunting political times (read: pre-emptive war in Iraq, illegal wire taps, Abramhoff scandal, Katrina, et al.)"

Isn't that EXACTLY what you're trying to do in my comments section??? Lets break it down-- Pre-emptive war in Iraq: Wrong. Iraq had been at war with us for a very long time. Like Dennis Miller said--America has a very long fuse, but you have to understand there is a big fucking bomb at the end of it. Our fuse burned out and we finally unleashed and squashed our main annoyance. Illegal wire taps: Oh if only it were so. There hasn't been one shred of evidence that any of the wiretaps were illegal. The ONLY people the NSA were listening to were in collusion with known terrorists. But that shouldn't matter to you lefties, huh? If Bush did it, it must be wrong. Abramhoff scandal: This touches folks on both sides of the aisle. Frankly, it's a yawner--people have been buying off politicians for centuries. This is not news. The news would be if anyone has done anything illegal. That remains to be seen. If anyone is guilty, they should be punished, regardless of political party. Abramoff played both sides of the street. Katrina: The more I learn about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the more painfully obvious it becomes that the most problems were caused by the inept and corrupt Democrat state and city officials in Louisiana. But using a natural disaster to try and score political points by the blame-Bush crowd just shows what dirtbags they really are.

So please, take your shopping list of perceived grievences elsewhere. You are the one trying to espouse your political beliefs on my website. As we rednecks like to say, that dog don't hunt.


"exacerbated by the touting of the very controversial figure: Jack Bauer"

Jack Bauer is a FICTIONAL character fer Chrissakes!!! If tossing up a fake campaign bumper sticker 'exacerbates' your case of the vapors it tells me two very important things.

1) The Dems still can't be taken seriously.

2) The Pen is still mightier.


"Unlike you, I am willing to admit that I like someone from the other party"

Who the fuck do you think you are?

Just goes to show how little you really know about me. There are plenty of good people on the 'other side' of the aisle--unfortunately not enough. This is why there is an (R) on my voter registration card. Actually, it's more like an (L), but I'm ahead of the curve.

Sorry David, if you're alienated, that's your problem--not mine. My blog, my rules.

I will write about whatever I damn well please. That's the great thing about blogs--I have the freedom to be intellectually lazy and go for the easy laugh sometimes. I guess Leno, Letterman, and the rest of the comedy pros are intellectually lazy, also. And of course I've never heard one peep from the hard-working intellects on the left making fun of George Bush.

If you're reading my blog, you get the whole package. And this was a VERY mild dabbling into politics, a throwaway line--if that three-sentence post offended you, then you my friend have a very thin skin.

I was going to say sorry, David, if I came off harsh, but I'm not. I don't write this blog to be popular or gain acceptance or be everything to everyone. I write because it provides an outlet for all the gibberish floating around in my brain. If nobody reads it, fine. If everyone reads it, great! Doesn't affect my outlook at all. (Although, if nobody were reading it, I'd feel less pressured to come up with new stuff to write about every day). When I started writing a website four years ago, NOBODY in the world knew who Hurricane Mikey was. That has changed--I get hundreds of readers every week. Along the way, I've made no secret of my political preferences, so apparently I'm doing something right.

Got it?

Mikey

PS. The can of worms was opened, but it is now closed. No more politics except the occasional joke or throwaway line, for those that can handle it. Now back to our regularly scheduled blogging. I'll write up the dinner at Andres tomorrow morning. I have to go to work now.

No comments: