Sunday, February 12, 2006

Not Very Fond of Chris, Either

I have raved about the wonders of Tivo on many occasions in the past, especially since I'm working during 'prime time' and would miss most of the shows I'm interested in seeing. At the beginning of this latest season of TV shows, there was quite a buzz about Chris Rock's latest project, Everybody Hates Chris.

I've been a fan of him since his early crackhead days in New Jack City, so I had high hopes for this show. Unfortunately, I've seen five or six episodes so far and I've yet to have a laugh-out-loud moment. It's mildly entertaining--very mildly. It seems that he's taking his R-rated stage material and watering it down and trying to turn it into family entertainment. Eddie Murphy has successfully made the jump from foul-mouth comedian into G-rated entertainer and found much success at it, but I'm afraid Chris Rock isn't up to the task just yet.

I've watched the show with an open mind, waiting for the big laugh each week, but it never comes. And even though I can fast-forward through the commercials, it still feels like I've wasted 22 minutes of my life each time I watch it. As much as I wish it were so, it's just not very funny.

Sorry Chris--I won't be recording or watching the tv show anymore, but I'm all over your HBO specials and stand-up tours-- and of course who doesn't love your musical ode to the strip club experience in Can A Nigga Get A Table Dance?

There may not be any sex in the Champagne Room, but at least we can laugh about it.

Mikey

No comments: