Friday, February 03, 2006

Livin' Large

Hey Gang... Sorry for the light bloggin' this week. I have no excuse other than the fact that I just haven't fell motivated or inspired to write anything noteworthy or interesting. I didn't do anything on my days off that required me to even leave the house--I just relaxed, caught up on sleep and puttered around the estate.

Last night was my 'Monday', and luckily I got an early shift--6pm until 2am. That's a great shift and the time just flies by. Before I knew it, it was time to go home.

But while at work, Stephanie dropped by with a couple of friends to say hello, and she actually made a few bucks at my blackjack table. And she was smart enough to walk away, too. We made plans to hang out after work, so once she got her gambling fix in, her and her girlfriends headed over to the bowling alley for a few games to wait for me.

Once I got out, I had to run home--I'd forgotten to bring my wallet with me, so I had no cash, no ID, and no ATM card. Not the best way to roll when you've got three chicks that want to hang out. So I made a quick stop in the bowling alley to tell them that I needed to run home first, and we agreed to meet up at the bar an hour later.

I got back there before them--she called just as I was pulling into the parking lot saying that they were on their last frame of their last game and would join me shortly. No problemo. So I just sat at the bar and had a couple of Coronas while playing a little bit of that ripoff game of video blackjack. Seriously, it's got the worst rules of blackjack in the entire universe, but every now and then you can get lucky, and of course drinks are free if ya put $20 into the machine.

Lucky for me, the machine was feeling generous and I made a quick $40 off of my initial $20. So I cashed out as soon as the girls showed up. They said they had the beer munchies, so we grabbed a table and ordered a pitcher of beer, some chips and salsa, and a sampler platter of munchies--wings, taquitos, onion rings, cheese sticks.

While we were laughing it up and devouring all of the grub, a couple of other guys I work with showed up and the party was on. We hung out for a couple of hours, just eating, drinking, telling stories and shooting some pool. It was like your typical real-world happy hour, except that it was all happening at 4am on a weeknight.

Don't ya just love how that's ok in Vegas?

I can guarantee that you would've never found me sitting in a bar with three hot girls at 4am on a school night back in Tennessee. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because that kind of thing doesn't really happen anywhere else.

Besides the fact that I'm making good money at a job I enjoy, just the fact that I'm having fun living here makes me feel more and more like my days working for a brokerage are gone forever. Just yesterday I got another recruitment letter from Schwab, and as much as I loved working there back in the day, those days are long gone. I feel like I could never go back. Those were some good memories, and I'm afraid that if I went back it would be so different and I'd be disappointed. It's 2006, but I'd have a year 2000 outlook. A lot of things have changed in the past five years, and while at the time I always felt like it was the best job I ever had, right now I feel like what I'm doing is even better.

The way I look at it is that I've been forced out twice already, but now they want me back. But that ain't gonna happen. It's tough to subject yourself to being just a human commodity to serve at their leisure (and hey, every industry does the same), so at this point I'm thinking of turning my back on it forever. I'm giving up a lot, but I feel like all of the stuff I learned, business-wise, was just teaching me how to make a little money on my own so that eventually I won't need a paycheck anymore.

I can still make a good living in a brokerage, but I can have a great life in Vegas.

Mikey

No comments: