Thursday, September 10, 2009

Squeezing In Another Post Before Kickoff


Hey gang!

As much as I'd like to sleep right now, I just can't--I know that I need to go to bed, but I'm resigning myself to the fact that I'm only gonna get about four hours of rest before I go to work later tonight.

Work has been extremely busy (and lucrative) for me these past couple of days, and thankfully I'm on the schedule for five days this week. If poker were a meal, this week would be the Sterling Brunch at Bally's--a nice change of pace from all those Cup-O-Noodles I subsisted on back in July.

First of all, as much as I would've liked to come straight home and go to bed this morning, I couldn't do it, even as tired as I was. All I'd eaten the day before was a turkey sandie (I decided against PB&J) and an energy bar once I got to work. So I was pretty damn hungry. I didn't feel like fixing bacon and eggs (blasphemy!), and I'm out of cereal, so I said farkit and made a cheeseburger at seven o'clock this morning. Hey, my work schedule is opposite of the rest of the world's, but everyone else has dinner after work, so why not I? But it was a damn good cheeseburger. And Falcon Rob is right--even though he's scratching his current mustard itch with the Cleveland Stadium variety, French's plain yellow mustard is underrated. I normally only use brown mustard, but on hotdogs and hamburgers, the basic stuff is the way to go.

While I was eating, I was watching the market and decided that it was time to get back in the game. I've been sending extra cash to my account at E*Trade over the past few weeks, and it's been sitting there waiting for me to invest. Of course, I'd love to own some *real* stock--stuff like Amazon, WalMart, Exxon Mobile, Apple, etc., but that shiat is expensive. I was looking for an affordable buy-and-hold type of stock that I could pick up and sit on, and not worry about it too much if I guessed wrong and it took a dump short-term. But I didn't want some crappy-assed penny stock, either.

Several weeks ago, reader JC in Denver tipped me off to a company called Exact Sciences, symbol EXAS, and I'd been watching it ever since. My due diligence seemed to point in the right direction, and the price has been rising over the past month. So this morning I fired off a trade and picked up a load of shares. Of course, as much as I say I'm gonna ignore it, I couldn't help but crack a smile when I saw that it was already up ten cents from my purchase price when it closed. Heh.

Once that deed was done, I headed out to hit the bank and go shopping, and ended up at BB&B, where I picked up the household goodies I mentioned in the previous post. I then tried to read for awhile, but that didn't take, and I wanted to pen that righteous rant about coffee tables being ridiculously expensive when compared to other pieces of furniture. But that rant led me to finding an affordable coffee table that I have since purchased. (Details below, for those of you just tuning in...)

Since then, I've been watching ESPN, preparing myself for the kickoff of the NFL season tonight. I am so happy that football is back--is there nothing better than fall afternoons, hanging out with your buddies, drinking beer, munchin' on junk food, trying to watch seven games in one day, working the remote like it was an extension of your very hand? I think not... I'm sure that some of you wimmenfolk might not understand, but it's just the way we're wired. We don't get excited over designer shoes, celebrity gossip, romantic comedies, or the one-day sale at Macy's, but football season puts us in our happy place in those rare moments when we're not coming up with schemes to get our hands on some boobies.

So there. That's my day. As tired as I am right now--I've got that telltale ache behind my eyes--I am excited to finally get this party started. Seven months is too long to go without the pleasing narcotic of football season. I'm ready for a fix. I'm sure I'll probably pass out by halftime, a big puddle of drool expanding on my shirt as I'm slowly consumed by the couch-monster. But I don't care. Football is back.

Football, baby! Football.

Mikey

No comments: