Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Got My Work Cut Out For Me


So, the rest of the booze cabinet arrived today, but not without a little bit of anxiety on my part. You know how I said that the FedEx man always got here before 1:30? Well, around 1:45, he still hadn't showed up, their tracking website was no help, indicating that I'd taken delivery the day before, and the 800-number only repeated, electronically, the exact same thing the website said (I never figured out how to get through to a live human being). As far as they were concerned, I was no longer a customer awaiting a package--their work was done.

Just about the time I sat down to the keyboard to go on a rant, there was a knock at the door. Woot--FedEx man! I told him that I was starting to worry, because he was a half-hour later than usual--'Sup with that? He laughed and apologized, and was kind enough to lift the dishwasher-sized box across the threshold for me. It weighed a ton.

I set about attacking it with my utility knife, and I swear, it took a half hour just to get everything unpacked, unwrapped, inventoried, and organized. My dining room now looks like the staging area at the New Yankee Workshop, with Styrofoam and cardboard all over the place instead of sawdust and power tools. Yep, it's gonna be a an all-day project putting this beast together. There must be about thirty different pieces of wood and about three pounds worth of screws and hardware, not to mention the glass. So far, all I've done is get everything ready to go and tried to gather up all the packing materials into as small a space as possible.

Oh, I'll start putting it together, probably right after I hit the [Enter] button on this post, but I doubt it'll be finished before tomorrow afternoon. I've got to go to bed in a couple of hours, just because I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night, and I've probably got another all-nighter ahead of me. But before I can do anything that involves a screwdriver or an allen wrench, I've got to hit every piece of wood with a damp cloth, just to clean off all the dust. That'll probably take a half hour all by itself.

So, y'all probably won't hear from me again until I get this thing project completed. Of course I'll post pictures. And then once I get my dining room table and my new headboard, maybe I'll do a Cribs-style video walk-through of the finished bachelor pad. Before I can do that, however, I'll need to get my hands on a new pimp goblet and a Louisville Slugger bitch-be-cool stick.

Mikey

No comments: