Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Because A Handful Of People Have Asked...

I'm surprised at the number of people who have asked me what a 'lift-top' coffee table is. I thought everybody knew, but I guess they're not as common as I thought they were. So here are a couple of pics so you can get the idea. The first one is the coffee table in it's natural, undisturbed, state:



This second picture is a photo of the top lifted so that I can pretend I'm eating at a counter, or even better, bring the laptop out and use it as a writing desk from the comfort of the couch.


If you look closely, you can see that it looks like it has a drawer in the middle, but that's just a decorative facing. However, you can store stuff inside, you just have to lift the top to get at it. I guess it'd be a good place to stash stuff like weed or Playboys, I mean, if you're into that kind of stuff.

And you'll notice that I've got a set of four coasters deployed--those were a gift from Doc Al awhile back.

Anyhow, I remember the first time I encountered a lift-top coffee table. I was dating this chick named Corrine, and I thought she was a keeper at first--she was absolutely loaded, with a great rack (the were real and spectacular), and she's the one that got me turned on to Jimmy Buffett and Captain Morgan--but the spare room just for her shoes should've been a red flag... Anyhow, she had a table like this in her living room, and we utilized it back in 2000 to watch the Rams win the Super Bowl. We even cracked open a bottle of leftover Y2K champagne at the end of the game to celebrate. Ah, memories...

But, although all my buddies warned me, I was the last person to realize that she was a bit kookie and that relationship died an ignominious death. (I went over to her place at 3:00 in the morning one night, and her ex-husband answered the door in his boxer shorts, so that was the end of that). A few months later, she up and moved to Indianapolis with some other dude, and that's the last I ever heard of her. But I never forgot about her kick-ass coffee table, and I've wanted one ever since.

And now I have one. But even though I may find another rich girl with a nice rack, I don't think we'll be using it to watch the Rams win the Super Bowl anytime soon, though...

Mikey

No comments: