Monday, June 23, 2008

Spirit Is Willing, Flesh Is Weak

Hey gang!

I've wanted to post an update, basically giving all the details of my Saturday night at the Mirage, and I still may do so, but since then, I've either been asleep, packing, or working, and have had no time for dilly-dally.

In fact, I just got home from work an hour ago, after pulling an all-night shift. I should be in bed right now, I'm completely exhausted, but Rob is still asleep and I'm waiting for the UPS man to get here with my new phone. Usually he hits our apartment complex first thing in the morning on his daily route, so I'm hoping I don't have to stay up long.

Anyhow, this time yesterday, I would've sworn that I had Monday off. I was on-call, but the phone didn't ring all day. I called in at 4:30 to see if they'd need me on swing shift, but the manager on duty said basically, Hell no, you're not getting called in tonight--you have to be here at 5:00 am!

That was news to me, but he re-checked the schedule, and yeah, it said for me to be there at 5:00 am this morning.

Damn. I was planning on doing the majority of my packing today. Oh well, I still have a week. Anyhow, around 9:30 last night, just as I was going to bed, my phone was ringing again. It was work calling, asking if I could come in at 1:00 am instead of 5:00 am.

Not wanting to turn down any shift, of course I agreed, but then I was unable to go to sleep. So I stumbled in to work at 1:00 am, and was happy to see two games going. Of course, by the time I changed, clocked in, and came back, we were down to one game and I got sent on first break.

I was shuffling back to the dining room, when I heard that wonderful voice behind me calling my name. Yeah, it was Kimmy, and I hadn't seen her in almost a week. She was just finishing up her shift and heading for her locker, but she wanted to thank me for the birthday card and the Starbucks gift card. And since she still has that strange effect on me, I couldn't think of anything clever or romantic to say, so I just stood there stammering like a drooling idiot the whole time we talked.

Of course five minutes after we parted ways, all the things I should've said came flowing back into my consciousness...

--Ah, don't worry about it, I like doing nice things for you, your birthday was just an excuse...

--It's all part of my master plan to make you think about me when you get your morning coffee...

--What about the diamonds? Did you get them too?

Oh well. It just goes to show that I'm not so smoove with the ladies. At least with the ones that matter the most...

Anyhow, my lone poker game went dead around 3:00 am, and we didn't get any more players until 7:30 or so. So me and the floor guy just sat there at an empty table for four hours shooting the shiat and dozing off. At one point, he had do go do some paperwork, so I hit up Starbucks for a big-ass vanilla latte with four, yes, four shots of espresso in it.

That pretty much carried me through the rest of the shift, and I'm still a little bit wired. I ended up working the entire eight hours, but out of those eight hours, I was actually dealing for only two of them. But I made $80, so I'll take the forty bucks-an-hour in tips.

I grabbed a quick breakfast once I got out of work, put on the sunglasses, and headed back to the apartment. No UPS man yet, and I'm afraid to go lie down, because once I fall asleep, that's all she wrote for at least eight hours.

And I'm scheduled to go back in at 5:00 tomorrow morning, but they told me it'll probably get changed to 7:00 instead, which I'm cool with. So that's about it from here. Once that phone gets here, I'm going to bed for the rest of the day.

Y'all have a good one!

Mikey

No comments: