Sunday, June 15, 2008

Road Trip!

Howdy everyone--and a happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. I called my dad earlier today and we had a good conversation, catching up on all the latest. Being that it was Father's Day, it was a good time spring an idea on him that I came up with a few weeks ago that Reverend Dave and I have been kicking around.

Basically, here's what we're talking about doing--Next summer, the three of us (Me, Dad, and Rev Dave) are gonna take a week-long road trip together. I'm gonna fly out to Alabama-land and hook up with the Good Reverend, and then we'll drive to dad's place in Georgia. We'll spend the night there, and take off early the next day and make our way to northern Virginia. The plan is to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps outside of Quantico, the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard, and probably also the Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian (although, we've all been there in the past, so we may give that one a pass). After the D.C.-area portion of our visit is completed, we'll head down to the Hampton/Newport News/Norfolk area and take in some of the sites down there, like the Hampton Roads Naval Museum, Nauticus, and the Norfolk Harborfest to see the Tall Ships and do some of the other related activities going on that week. If time allows it, we may head down to coastal Georgia and see the submarine museum and base in St. Mary's before we circle back up towards Atlanta.

Of course when I told my dad about it this morning, he was all for it. Not only because of the interesting things to see, but because the three of us haven't done anything together, where it was just us, in probably almost thirty years. And time on the road would be great for re-connecting. About ten years ago, my dad and I took a road trip like kind of like the one we're planning for next summer--I flew out to Atlanta, and the two of us drove to Charleston for a couple of days, then road-tripped up to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut for a couple more. That was a lot of fun, and we've talked about doing something like that again, and now we've finally got some concrete plans for next summer.

I'm really looking forward to it, too, and spending a week on the road with Reverend Dave will be a lot of laughs, regardless of the destination. I hope Dad knows what he's getting into...

Mikey

No comments: