Friday, June 13, 2008

So Much For Graveyard

Well, I did what I hope is my last graveyard shift in the poker room last night. I got in at 11:00, saw that there were three tables going, and figured I was in for a decent night. My spot in the rotation, unfortunately, was not to push the first table, but to tap into the last table in the lineup. So I dealt for a half hour, then had to go take a half-hour break. When I got back, a game had broken, and we were down to only two tables.

And sometime in that first half hour after I came back, the other game broke, too, so we had one table and two dealers. It was looking like half-hour on/half-hour off for me. But no, the official 'graveyard' dealer was coming in at 1:00 am, so basically, I went to work for two hours, worked for one, and was on break the rest of the time. I got sent home at 1:00 am.

Yeah, it sucked.

But then again, I figured that would happen, as I was just kinda worked into the schedule in random spots this week, with the poker room manager figuring I didn't really want to work there and all...

So I was a little pissed off, getting sent home after working an hour (and I was doing well, too--having made over $50 in tokes), but I kinda knew that it was going to be a waste of a night. On the flip side, I've got what everyone in the room calls the '$300 shifts' this weekend--working late afternoon on Saturday and Sunday, which will more than make up for the crappy night I had last night.

But I was home by 1:15 this morning, and still kinda tired and not used to those graveyard hours anyways, so I went straight to bed. Of course I'm awake early this morning, and the plan was to play in the afternoon tourney at Caesars, but I see that there is another tourney for the same price that starts in an hour just down the block at Green Valley Ranch. So I'm gonna hit that one up instead. Maybe if I cash I'll still go to Caesars. If not, I'll just come on home and chill tonight.

My original plan was to hang around down there on the Strip playing in a cash game after the Caesars tourney, grab some dinner, and then meet up with Cool Pacific later this evening. But I woke up this morning to find out that plans have changed. They're getting in late, and one of his buddies wants to go to one of the clubs as soon as they get checked in, so our plans to sit in the Seahorse Lounge smoking Cuban cigars and playing spot the hooker have been put on ice.

Oh well, no biggie--we'll do it again some other time.

So I'm just gonna take a quick shower and then head down to GVR for a bit.

Other than that, I've got no plans for the rest of the day--we'll see where it takes me. Today is Kimmy's 41st birthday, which I still find staggeringly unbelievable--I swear she looks like she's only 28--so I'll give her a call once she wakes up, but other than that, I think it's gonna be a pretty mellow Friday the 13th for me.

Mikey

No comments: