Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Another Good Finish!

Hey gang--as much as I would *love* to post an all-encompassing and lengthy summary of my days activities, I shall not. I'm dead tired, and I have to be at work in five hours. And I just got home a few minutes ago... (It's just after midnight on Tuesday morning)

Yep, I went down to Binion's to play in another one of their Annual Poker Classic tournaments, a $150 buy-in No Limit event. There were 237 players, and I busted out in 11th place, one seat away from reaching the final table. I still made $465 for the effort (first place paid $7400, which would've been a little better...), but it just took all damn day, which is truly a grind.

I was lucky to finish in 11th place, as I thought I was done in 31st place, when I was short-stacked and went all-in with Ace-Jack. Somebody with Ace-King called me, and well, I lost and was walking away, but they called me back and I got a refund on the pot because I had the guy covered. I had just enough to cover the ante and small blind for the next hand, leaving me with a single $100 chip.

I was literally down to a chip and a chair, thinking I was going home on the very next hand. But I made the Mother of All Comebacks with a 6-4 offsuit, picking up the blinds, antes, and an extra $300 from three callers. And not only did I work my way back to get into the money, I had a real shot at the final table when I looked down and saw pocket Queens. Of course some jagoff with a pair of fours called, and a four came out on the flop.

I swear, I was kinda feeling like Phil Helmuth when he so famously said, If it weren't for bad luck, I'd never lose a single tournament. Minus, of course, the temper-tantrum and asshattery. But under-pairs have taken me out both times. Kings and Queens. I guess I need Aces if I want to win the hardware.

It took nine hours to get to the final table, and since I have to work in the morning, I just took off as soon as I got paid--no sticking around to watch.

But now I'm two-for-two in the Binion's Poker Classic. Two entries, two cashes. I like those odds and would love to play in another one. They're running the exact same tournament later this afternoon, and if I get some sleep, I could still make it down there after work.

We shall see. In the meantime, I've got to go to bed.

I may not post again sometime on Wednesday. Y'all have a good one!

Mikey

No comments: