Saturday, June 21, 2008

KRZR Little Thing

I made a purchase last night, although I really didn't want to. Seriously, I sat at the computer for ten minutes staring at the screen trying to talk myself out of hitting the 'Place Order' button on the Amazon check-out page, but I couldn't do it--it was something I almost had to buy, although I was hoping to put it off for a couple of weeks.

My current cell phone is a complete piece of shiat. It's a an obsolete Sony Ericsson model that does nothing well, and after having Motorola phones for the previous six years, I found the buttons and the operations to be counter-intuitive. It doesn't have a camera, the ring tones are all annoying, it gets overwhelmed whenever somebody sends me a multi-media message--it chokes on pictures and absolutely goes into survival mode if somebody sends me a video. The most annoying thing, however, actually two things, is the fact that every f*cking day I have to 'agree' to reset the clock. I don't know why it does that, but half the time I open it up to make a call, I get a message saying The new time is XX:XX Do you wish to reset? (And it's always about a minute off of what the clock is displaying). So I click 'yes', and then I have to tell it whether it's daylight savings time or not. I have to do this before I can make a call, which drives me absolutely crazy, especially if I'm on the road. In addition to that, whenever I finish a call or a text message, it starts vibrating and telling me that I have a message, which is how much of my time balance I have left. I don't mind the message, but I can't disable the vibration mode whenever it displays, so it *really* eats up my battery on a day where I'm making or getting a lot of calls.

In addition to pissing me off for the past two years, about two weeks ago I dropped the thing on the floor, all the pieces flew in different directions, and it's been acting squirrely ever since. Normally, I'd put up with it, but I've gotten a few dropped calls lately, and on some calls I can't hear. Other times, it won't ring at all and I look down at the display and see that I've had several missed calls. On the other hand, I love my service, and have never had one problem at all with customer-service, billing, or technical-support. I use AT&T, and compared to Sprint, they are a wonderful service provider. Their system just works. It's my phone that sucks ass.

And now, with my new position in the poker room, I'm On Call at least once a week, if not more often. And I cannot afford to miss that phone call when it comes. So I had to bite the bullet.

Now, I've been wanting a RAZR phone for a long time, probably ever since the first time I saw Ari on Entourage flip his open and berate Lloyd a couple of years back. But everyone I know who has had one has warned me not to buy one--the sound quality sucks, the buttons aren't ergonomic, it doesn't 'feel' right when you talk on it, it gets damaged too easily, etc. etc....

I've had one on my Wish List for a long time, too, but again, I can't afford to take a chance now that I'm basically chained to my phone on my days off, so I had to rethink my choices. I knew that I'd absolutely be buying a Motorola phone again--they've always been good quality (except, apparently, for the first-generation RAZRs), and I'm used to the way they're set up--I don't need to spend hours studying the manual to get stuff to work.

As much as I've wanted a RAZR phone, buying one now would be a lot like waiting until 2005 to buy my first Pearl Jam cd--pretty far behind the curve. So I did my research (hours of reading reviews and specs on the internet) and opted for a new KRZR phone, instead. I certainly don't need one of those so called 'smart-phones' with the full keypad and such, and Angy has had nothing but problems with hers, so I considered that to be just a little too much technology in one place. And the cost is prohibitive unless I sign a long-term service contract anyways--and I'm not willing to do that (I'm one of those 'liberty hippies' who values freedom more than security, even with things as trivial as wireless service...)

Apparently, the folks at Motorola listened to their customers' complaints about the RAZR, and beefed it up and improved it this time around, and for those of us who don't need a 'smart-phone', they offer the sleek and sexy KRZR.



So, I went ahead and ordered one last night, in nifty Cosmic Blue (kinda looks like my old Stratocaster). Due to the fact that I'll be moving next week, in addition to needing it right now, I went ahead and sprung for next-business day shipping, and it'll be here sometime on Monday. I was really hoping to not have to purchase any non-perishables of any type until after I got moved, but missing one phone call in the next ten days (four of which are On-Call) might cost me $200+, so I figured it was a justifiable expense.

And Monday is my day off, so I'll be home stacking boxes in my dining room and tossing out junk when the UPS man delivers it.

Once I get moved, my next expense, obviously, is a new fender for my truck (upon closer inspection, the damage was limited to one piece of metal, so it won't be as pricey as I feared). After that, I have to decide on new bedroom furniture (feh...) or a new HDTV (oh yes!). Now that I've had a taste, it'll be tough to go back to regular TV. But I really want a new, nice, bedroom set, suitable for entertaining, if you know what I mean...

Mikey

No comments: