Monday, June 22, 2009

What I Did On My Summer Vacation


Hey Gang... I've got an announcement to make that some of y'all ain't gonna like.

I'm taking a vacation.

No, I'm not going anywhere (as far as you know), but I am going to take a break from the keyboard for a little while. After almost seven years of trying to be creative, I think I've become a little burnt out. I find myself using too many adverbs, repeating the same movie lines and song lyrics over and over again, and damn, if I had a dollar for every time I wrote about having to go to the bank or do laundry, I'd never have to work again.

Basically, I'm just getting kinda bored. The thrill is gone. In fact, I've actually considered just shutting this joint down and finding something else to waste time with, but my writing-guru Linda just about went upside my head when she heard that. Nothing really wrong at this end, but I just find myself staring at a blank screen longer and more often every time I sit down at the keyboard. I think my outlook has changed for the worse, too, as whenever I'm in a situation, good, bad, or indifferent, I find that I'm always asking myself How do I write about this? I don't like thinking that way, to be honest--I'd rather just enjoy the moment and not have to worry about the best way to share it with everyone else.

So I think some time off to recharge the batteries is in order. I'm not gonna go away, I'm just gonna take the rest of the summer off, starting on July 1st. I'll keep posting until then, but after that, I'll see y'all in September.

Mikey

No comments: