Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thumbs Up


While kicking around the house this morning, enjoying my coffee and relaxing, I sat down in front of my favorite new toy.

Usually, daytime TV really is a vast wasteland, but I scrolling through the channels, I stumbled upon a diamond in the rough. I landed on the Encore Drama channel about five minutes into a movie I'd never heard of called Greenfingers. But it was interesting enough to hook me in, and I decided to give it a few minutes worth of attention.

Anyhow, I found it quite entertaining and ended up watching the whole thing. It was actually a very good movie, kinda funny, and a bit of that underdog, power-of-the-human-spirit kind of uplifting tale. I don't think it won any awards or got much critical acclaim, but it was a nice enjoyable feel-good flick.

Basically, it's a tale about a bunch of convicts in an open-style British prison who take to gardening, and catch the attention of a famous gardener (it's a British movie, so I'm guessing gardeners are celebrities over there like chefs are over here). Anyhow, with a few plot twists and turns, she convinces them to compete in a national gardening competition.

It pretty much follows the predictable underdog movie formula, but then again, it's a formula that people find entertaining, and I really got a kick out of it. And one-liners are almost always funnier with a British accent, so it's got that going for it, too.

I looked it up on Amazon, and while the DVD is no longer in print, it can still be found out there. It's certainly worthy enough to get on your Netflix list, and I'm sure that Encore will play it again. So if you get a chance to see it, check it out. I think you'll like it.

Mikey

No comments: