Friday, November 30, 2007

Rainy Day Women

Happy Friday everyone! Right now, here in America's Playground where the sun always shines, it's cloudy, gray, cold, and rainy. It's the kind of day where you don't want to do anything but eat soup and grilled cheese, curl up under a blanket, and read a book. Seriously, I woke up today and thought I was back in Nashville.

Notice I said woke up today, not this morning. I was literally the last man standing on my shift last night, not punching out until sometime after 3:00 am. So by the time I got home, I was good and tired, and I slept until just after noon--awakened by the sound of the rain.

I'd had a fairly easy shift, dealing Pai Gow and blackjack all night. But I got back from break at 2:00 am, went to a table, closed it, and then they moved me to dice. The game had three players on it, but quickly went dead. And the rotation worked out that I had to go over to the 'Reserved' game and stand on it by myself for 40 minutes while everyone else got to go home a half hour early. That kinda sucked.

Anyhow, from 2:20 until 3:00, I was the lone guy standing post on that game out in no-man's-land, feeling like I was in Time Out.

With no other dealers or players to talk to, and no cocktail waitresses coming by, it's a looooong forty minutes to just have to stand there doing nothing. Luckily I'd already dropped my share of tokes earlier in the evening, so even though I wasn't making any money for us during my last hour, I'm sure I dropped more than the dealer average for the night, so I wasn't too much of a burden on my fellow dealers.

Anyhow, there's nothing much else going on around here, and the only news is that yesterday I finally got my oil changed and my tire fixed, so that little chore is behind me.

Y'all have a great weekend--hopefully we'll have some stories for you on Monday.

Mikey

No comments: