Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hump Day Afternoon

It's 4:20 here on a chilly Vegas afternoon, and I'm not doing much but lying in bed under my sleeping bag, wearing a flannel shirt for warmth. Rob and I are seeing how long we can go without turning on the heat. Not that we can't afford it, we just don't want to pay for heat. It's the principle of the thing, living in the desert and all. He's not cold at all, in fact, days like today are considered balmy spring days back in Ohio, so he's fine. But my thin desert blood has turned me into a puss.

I ended up going out to Ellis Island after all last night. About a half hour after I posted that last update, my phone rang and it was reader Chris, also known as PHU-KNA over on T2V (and I just figured out what that meant after two years...) Anyhow, he was still up for getting together, so around 6:15 or so last night I headed towards the Strip. I got about halfway there before I realized that I'd hit the trifecta of absentmindedness by driving off and leaving my camera, cigars, and POV coupon for an hours worth of free beers sitting on the counter. Doh!

I got there first, and was starving, so I grabbed two slices of pepperoni from the Metro outlet there by the bar, and ordered what was easily the worst microbrew I've ever had. It took me about four sips to figure out that it was probably the most bitter Amber I'd ever tasted. Yuck. So I went with a glass of the home-brewed root beer instead. That was a little better.

I ended up running into a co-worker who was also there on her night off, so I was talking to her when Chris and his buddy Jay showed up. We then headed to the bar for a couple hours of cocktails and storytelling, staying just until they started up with the Karaoke. I was ready to head home, but they wanted to get some dinner, and insisted that I join them for some BBQ. I hadn't eaten there in over two years, but damn, those ribs were still fantastic. The corn on the cob was excellent, the beans kinda blah, and the coleslaw was about average. But the ribs--damn, I ate an entire rack!

We sat there eating and laughing it up till after 11:00 pm, and they invited me to join them downtown, but I'm trying to be good and not spend my limited funds frivolously, so as much as it pained me, I declined. But damn, I could've used a night of drunken downtown buffoonery... Instead, I headed back to my house and daydreamed about the epic three-hour craps roll that broke the house at Binion's that I was sure I was missing out on, and went to bed shortly thereafter. I still had a great time, I just didn't pull an all-nighter, that's all.

Today, I did nothing productive. I didn't go to the bank, didn't run any errands, didn't answer any emails, didn't do laundry, nothing. I was a complete bum.

And I loved every minute of it.

I've got to hop in the shower in a bit and get ready to go out again tonight. I'm meeting up with 'Lars Vegas' for dinner over at Grimaldi's (and as soon as I mentioned that to Rob, he was like HELL YEAH I'M GOING!), and then afterwards we're gonna hole up somewhere for drinks and cigars for the rest of the evening. I know that my favorite watering hole has a back patio with a fireplace, so we'll probably end up there.

Y'all have a good one. Catch ya tomorrow.

Mikey

PS--Happy Birthday to Cyndi!

PPS -- Thanks to Tony from Ohio, I now have an mp3 copy of that 'Sara' song on my hard drive. Awesome.

No comments: