Friday, November 02, 2007

Beowulf, The Iliad, and Warren Buffett

Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen, Alex...

In case you're wondering what kind of craziness happens around the Man Cave when Rob and I both have the day off, well, I'm about to enlighten you. Usually televised sporting events is the activity du jour, but on mid-week afternoons when there is no more baseball, we have to fill the void.

So we started recording all episodes of Jeopardy. Yep, it's pretty much the only game show I'll watch, just because crap like Who Wants to be a Millionaire and that one with Howie Mandel and all the suitcases (the name escapes me right now) are impossible to watch because of all the fluff. Seriously, in a half hour of Millionaire, they might ask 20-25 questions, max, while wasting time with asinine bullshiat. And all of the conversation that goes on is of no interest to me whatsoever. I really don't care one bit about each contestant's personal life. Remember, I'm a misanthrope...

But Jeopardy is great because the questions come rapid-fire, the contestants--for the most part--are generally smarter than your average mass sponge migration, and Alex Trebec seems to be the only host on tv who isn't addicted to the sound of his own voice. (I give props and love to Pat Sajak also, but god-almighty, are the people on Wheel of Fortune just dumb as shiat...)

And the beauty of having a DVR is that we can fast forward through not just the commercials, but the whole get-to-know-ya segment after the first commercial break where each contestant shares an oh-so-interesting factoid about themselves and Trebec pretends to care. (And I can tell that his outlook at his job is an awful lot like mine--yep, we depend on those folks for our livelihoods, but we both know that a lot of them are morons).

Anyhow, when I get tired of ESPN's manufacturing of sports 'news' in the afternoon, we hit the old DVR list and play along with several episodes of Jeopardy, back-to-back-to-back. Rob will admit that I usually kick his ass when we play, but only because I can read at lightning speed, thus giving me a leg up. (Seriously, I can kill a Grisham novel in less than three hours). But he can hold his own, and just this afternoon he smoked me five-to-nothing in a geometry category. And if there were ever a round consisting of stuff like Star Trek, Small College Mascots, Obscure Microbrews, Cartoons, Ohio State Alumni, and Pink Floyd, he would kick the ever-livin' shiat out of me. Luckily the creators have wider-ranging interests, so it's a more even playing field. Anyhow, I get luckiest on the big money Double Jeopardy questions, and I'm having a helluva run at Final Jeopardy, thereby crowning me the current Household Champion.

Those three names in the title? All correct answers to Final Jeopardy questions this week, which I nailed.

Seven years of college, baby!

Mikey

No comments: