Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Mellow One

Well, Halloween certainly seemed uneventful this time around. Since it fell on a Wednesday night, it was pretty effin' slow at work, and I only saw a few good costumes. Our cocktail waitresses stepped up though--one was a naughty nurse, which was a huge hit in my section. Gotta love those white thigh-high stockings... There was another one who dressed up as a pirate wench, and looked great, and another one had the complete St. Pauli Girl outfit going. So for being such a slow night, at least I had something to look at.

Of course there were buckets of candy lying about in the pit and in the break room, so I did my own version of a quick trick or treating expedition around 11 pm and got myself on a sugar high to carry me till the end of my shift. And it was the good stuff, too. I had a handful of mini Reese's and a bag of M&M's. They also took care of us in dining room with some uncharacteristically good grub--steak, shrimp (both breaded and peel & eat), salad, lasagna, fresh fruit... I was like, Holy shiat, this is what they serve around here on my day off???

And to top off a pretty good night at work, I met a nice gal at the tail-end of my shift, when I was down to just working two tables, one dead, one with a single player. I tapped into a $10 Pai Gow game and was happy to see that none of our regular fleas were around, and instead there was a fairly attractive gal playing all by herself. We had a fun, flirty conversation, and she seemed pretty interested in continuing it further at another time and place, and without being blatant about it, she made sure I knew how to get hold of her (we have some mutual acquainances--some of my regular players who I see four or five times a week are clients of hers at her place of business), so I think I may follow up in the next week or so. We'll see.

As a bonus, a few minutes before I was relieved, I dealt her a four-of-a-kind for a $250 payout, so I was golden after that.

All in all, a pretty good night at work, although it was so slow that I'm sure we didn't make any kind of decent money.

Once I got home, I stayed up reading for a few more hours, finally tackling a great book I received as a gift last Christmas called An Embarrassment of Mangoes. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and I'm enjoying every page. Not only is it a great Caribbean adventure, the author is all about discovering and cooking the local cuisine. At the end of each chapter are recipes for several of the dishes that get mentioned in the course of her travels. My only gripe is that she only took two years off to sail the Caribbean. Had she stayed longer, I'd have more stuff to read!

Finally, sometime around five o'clock this morning, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, so I put the book down on the nightstand and turned off the light, falling asleep just before the sun made it's daily appearance. Now that I'm up, I think I'm going to spend another hour or two reading, and then make some lunch before spending the afternoon doing chores. I've got to work again tonight, then I've got Friday all to myself. I may not have much cash on hand, but I've got a whole shelf full of books to choose from.

Mikey

No comments: