Saturday, November 03, 2007

Morning Coffee

To somebody who hasn't had a Friday night off with no commitments in almost three years, I gotta say, it was a little slice of heaven. And I didn't do much but read, catch up on the the three-month sleep deficit I've been running, surf the internet, and do laundry.

I also got to go to bed early, for me, thus guaranteeing a full-night's sleep. And here it is, sometime after 7 am, and I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to face the day. I've already cleaned the bathroom, loaded the dishwasher, and made a pot of coffee. I might even clean my closet, vacuum the bedroom, and organize my desk if I get a real wild hair.

But today's number one priority comes at 3:40 this afternoon, as the UNDEFEATED and fourth-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils kick off against the ugliest uniforms in the NCAA. I've been watching the hype for this game all week, and every single one of the talking heads is picking the Ducks, who, oh by the way, LOST to Cal a few weeks ago, while just last week we kicked the shiat out of the Hippie Bears. It makes me sick--No love for ASU to be found anywhere on the Worldwide Leader.

I will admit--I'm worried about this game. ASU has an annoying habit of being either downright sucky or raising my hopes, only to collapse at the end (see also, 1996-97 Rose Bowl, *another* reason I hate Ohio State...), so I've got my fingers crossed. If they win this game, their chances for a trip to New Orleans and a national title are greatly improved. (And maybe even a rematch with the Buckeyes, although the truth is, I'm hoping that Michigan knocks them off before it comes to that).

I should note that my roomie, a HUGE Ohio State fan and alumnus, thinks I root against his team just to irritate him. But the truth is, Reverend Dave and I have been anti-Buckeyes ever since that Gator Bowl where Woody Harrelson punched that kid from Clemson in the throat. Yep, we were watching at the time. Hey, it could be worse. At least I didn't attend Michigan... (Besides his obsession with Ohio State, Falcon Rob is a fine roommate and a decent cook, too. But I know he *hates* it when I refer to Woody Hayes as 'Woody Harrelson'. Heh.)

Regardless of what happens, it's going to be a *great* game, and I can't wait for kickoff. I've got a pantry and fridge full of 'tailgating' food at the ready, minus the beer (gotta work later), and ESPN, as much as I rail on them for institutionalized moronitude, has seen fit to broadcast this game in HD. Nice!

Oh, and that chump Reverend Dave, a huge Sun Devil fan--right down to the over-sized Sparky tattoo on his leg--won't be able to see the game today. He's stuck down in Aruba, sitting on the beach sipping rum-based umbrella drinks and watching the hotties wander about in their bikinis. Heh. What a loser--sucks to be him! I mean, seriously--there is a Pac-10 grudge match on this weekend, and he's down there pretending he's Greta Van Susteren. As Dad used to always tell us, the boy really needs to get his priorities in order...

There is another game of interest going on this weekend (besides today's slate of great college games), you may have heard about it--the Patriots versus the Colts. Of course I'm rooting for the Colts, and between them and the Sun Devils, I'm afraid I'm in for a weekend of disappointment. As much as I'd love to see Indy just beat them down and lay 60+ points on 'em, I'm guessing that if they manage to win, it'll be a very close one. That, and the fact that Coach Dungy has got a bit of class, and wouldn't run the score up on an opponent even if they deserve it.

It's just gonna be a helluva weekend of football. And you know what? I *totally* forgot to make any bets while at work on Thursday. I usually make all of my bets on Fridays, just because our book has one-day 'happy hour' parlay cards with higher odds. And I didn't even think about wandering over to the book the other night. So I have no action on any of the college games, which means that I'll probably go undefeated on the games I *would've* bet. I'm sure I'll toss a few bucks down in the NFL, however.

In the meantime, I think I'll cook up some breakfast. The early games don't start for a couple of hours, and I could use a little fuel in my system before I tackle the rest of my projects.

Mikey

No comments: