Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Brisk!

I just got back from the holiday shopping trip to WalMart, and I've got to tell you, it's downright chilly outside! And wouldn't you know the first song that came on the radio when I got in the truck was 'Wheel in the Sky' by Journey.

Winter is here, again, oh lord...

Steve Perry is right--it's cold out there. Well, at least to me and my thin desert blood.

I was watching the weather forecast last week and they said that we'd get a huge arctic blast of cold air starting today, and man, they weren't lying. First of all, it's quite breezy outside, and it's a cold north wind. On the other hand, it's blown all the haze and dust out of the valley, the sky is crystal-blue, and if it weren't for the mountains, you'd be able to see a hundred miles. Aside from being a little too cool outside, it is an absolutely *gorgeous* day. It makes me wish that I had a nice quality digital SLR camera, and I'd spend the day at the top of the Eiffel Tower taking pictures all up and down the strip, and then head out to the high ground in Henderson and take pictures of the valley. It's amazing outside--it was almost the same feeling I got the first time I put on prescription glasses. Whoa! Everything is so clear!

As far as my shopping trip went, it was fun to see all the picketers out front huddling up in a circle with their flannel jackets and Elmer Fudd hats. The only thing they needed to complete the picture would've been a 55-gallon drum with a fire going.

As expected, it was a total zoo at the grocery store, although everyone was displaying good manners. Of course, being WalMart, they only had two checkout lines going. But I didn't have to wait long, and I got some good stuff--pumpkin pie scented candles, egg nog, and my latest discovery, vanilla-rum flavored coffee creamer. Oh yeah, like I was going to pass that up. The rest of my afternoon is mine to rest up for the long weekend ahead of me.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

Mikey

No comments: