Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Second Guessing

Well, I received another humbling poker lesson at the Silverton last night, which really sucks because I was playing pretty well for not catching shiat for cards.

I made it past the re-buy level still above par, having had to go to a showdown only once--which I won. But I was kicking myself for not raising with pocket eights on the button, allowing four callers to see a flop of three overcards. Figuring I was trapped when everyone checked, I gave everyone a free card on the turn. Of course, that's where the action happened and then I knew I was beaten. I should've went all-in on the flop and taken down a four-way pot right then and there.

A few hands later, I congratulated myself on a good lay-down thinking once again that I was a Poker God. But when I got the button again, I looked down to see pocket nines. There were two limpers, and one triple-the-blinds raiser in front of me, so, thinking I learned my lesson the previous time I had the button, I went all-in to isolate the raiser. The other two dropped out, the raiser had me covered by about a hundred bucks, and called. She had pocket Kings to my pocket nines, and the flop came out K-7-7. Only quad nines would keep me alive, and of course, they never came.

I went out in 13th place, home by 11:30. I suck. Or at least I have the past three weeks. March and April were so good to me, but May is turning out to just *not* be my month... And not just at the card table, either.

Anyhow.

As far as the house hunting goes, I have two very good leads, one pretty good lead, one interesting one, and two that sound good but only if the others don't work out. I've got to go look at one place at 8:00 am this morning, a few hours hence, and it sounds like the best deal going--plus it's actually closer to work.

There's another place I'm especially intrigued about, but it's much further away--still in Henderson, a little more expensive, but I'm getting a very good vibe about it. I don't know why, I can't put my finger on it, but I talked to the homeowner for almost a half hour last night on the phone and we seem to be very compatible. However, there are a couple of issues I need to work out and find out for sure if this is the place for me. I'm going to check it out tonight at six.

My third choice sounds pretty good too, but it's not in Henderson, it's back in Vegas proper, but still very close to work--but further from the Strip. Not that it's ever been an issue, but I'm just not sure I want to live "in" Vegas again, unless I'm in Silverado Ranch. I don't know why (besides the cheaper insurance rates), but I think if I have an opportunity to stay in Henderson, I will.

And I really want to stay in this particular neighborhood, too. I really really like the Green Valley/Horizon Ridge area--it's clean, quiet, still close to the freeway, and close to work, too. But I'll know more in about 24 hours.

As far as my to-do list went yesterday, I only got about half of it done. I spent a helluva long time--too much, in fact--working on stuff like my PayPal account and my Cafe Press shop. And the Cafe Press shop is just pissing me off like nobody's business right now--I can't get stuff to work right. My room didn't get vacuumed, the bed didn't get made, and my bacon-centric breakfast never happened, either.

When I get back from checking out the house this morning, I think I'm going to make some biscuits and gravy. I have the ingredients, and that's a good meal for a day off, I think.

Mikey

No comments: