Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hump Day Update.

You know how I'm constantly bitching and moaning that it's always windy and cold on my days off? Seriously--if you're coming to Vegas in the springtime, avoid being here on Tuesdays--Damn near every Tuesday for the past six months has been cold, cloudy, and extremely windy.

Don't believe me? Well, now I have proof. This is what yesterday's windstorm did to the tree in front of the entrance to the Man Cave.


The wind was so bad, it even pulled the anchor poles out of the ground, too.


I knew it was gettin' pretty intense because when I was trying to take a nap, my bedroom window was open about halfway, and my venetian blinds were slamming around like a swarm of angry bees. It was tough to sleep with the howling wind anyways, but with the blinds doing their best to take flight, I figured it was time to get up and shut the window.

But today is shaping up to be a beautiful day. It's calm and sunny out, and it's going to get into the upper 80's this afternoon, so I might be up for some quality time out by the pool...

I think, before I do that, however, that I should try and get some sleep. I didn't go to bed until almost 3:30 this morning, and had to be up at 7:30 to go look at a new house at 8:00. Of all the places I've been in contact with and seen so far, this one seems to be the clear winner.

I just got back, and I'm really impressed with the place. It's a 2500 sq. foot home, just down the road from here, even closer to work, in a killer location. I think the house is only three years old, and if I thought I lived in a Man Cave now, good lord--this place is like the Ultimate Guy's Retreat.

Where to begin... It's got a great covered patio, with ceiling fans, and the backyard is completely pimped out with and island bbq, tiki torches and a firepit. The kitchen is nice, with an island and granite countertops and all-modern appliances, and the living room has a huge big screen with the surround sound system.

Upstairs, the loft has been transferred into a game room, with a poker table in the middle of the room, cocktail tables, an 80's-style console Defender game straight from the arcade, and a bar in the corner of the room. There are three bedrooms off of the loft. One is an exercise room with machines, a treadmill, and free weights, the other is a totally mellow hookah lounge with papasan chairs, beanbags, and lots of pillows, with a huge hookah standing in the middle of the room. (I think if I ever let my sister Amy into that room, she'd never leave). The third bedroom would be mine, as it's the one connected to the bathroom.

But the best thing was the huge deck off the back of the game room. I walked out and was blown away--the view of the Strip was amazing, and I can only imagine how cool it would be at night. Oh, and my new roommate (if this works out), well, we seem to be pretty compatible, but the deal-closer for me was that brothaman owns a 42-foot sailboat out in L.A.! So naturally, we had lots to talk about once I noticed all of his sailboat pictures adorning the walls downstairs.

Not wanting to sound too eager, I told him of my other appointments tonight and that I'd get back to him as soon as I could. But driving away, I just *knew* this was the place for me. So I fired off an email once I got home that said I'd be interested in the room. I'm not sure when I'll hear back from him, I know that he was heading back to L.A. once I left, but hopefully things will work out.

If not, well, we'll go to Plan B.

Speaking of Plan B, I got the coding for the first advertisement that I was offered. I did a test run this morning and my first reaction was NO F*CKING WAY! It was for 888.com, but instead of a small hyperlinked logo, which I expected, it was this huge paragraph--all text--with a couple of links in it. It just looked stupid as hell and was so big that it made the blog look like trash, so I wrote them back and said that they'll have to do better if they want to put an ad on my site.

So I deleted the coding and also took down the PayPal link. It's not worth the $15 a month. If they want to put up a small logo about the size of mine, I'm cool with that, but that ridiculous paragraph explaining all of their products--nobody wants to read that. It's not even an effective eye-catcher. Whoever came up with it should be fired for incompetence.

Anyhow--that's about all the news this morning from your humble correspondent. I can't decide if it's coffee time or bed time, but I have no place to be until six pm.

Mikey

No comments: