Saturday, May 03, 2008

Messy Desk Jackpot!

Preparing to move out of this place in a couple of months, I've got a lengthy to-do list. When I first moved in here, I had about two weeks to prepare. Since I've got two months to prepare, it's going to be much easier, although it'd be helpful if I actually knew where I was going to be living on July 1st.

I can tell you this much, it'll be in either Green Valley, Silverado Ranch, Henderson, or Southern Highlands. I love love love the Silverado Ranch area, but it's still in Las Vegas proper. Green Valley and Henderson let me pay a whole lot less for insurance, and it's a little quieter, too, so I'm kind of leaning on staying in the neighborhood (although Silverado Ranch is just a couple miles down the road).

Anyhow, I started going full-on Enron on a pile of old mail that has never gotten thrown away--old offers and coupons, old statements from various accounts, all the crap the IRS and Dept. of Education has sent me over the years, etc. Yep, my shredder got a workout like it hasn't seen in months, and I even managed to jam it a time or two. Nothing a screwdriver (with a beer chaser!) couldn't fix.

Once the shredding was done, it was time to tackle my desk. It's amazing how much crap it holds since it's really not that big. So in the process of filling a garbage bag, I found all sorts of doo-dads and detritus that I hadn't seen in ages. Some of it, I've been actively looking for, some of it I'd forgotten about. But so far, I've found:

-- my passport
-- my spare truck key and the flashlight keyring
-- my missing torch lighter
-- my missing letter opener
-- the earbuds to my iPod
-- a set of spare buttons
-- a butane cartridge
-- two cigar cutters
-- the instruction manual, still sealed, for my two-year old cell phone
-- a tin of cinnamon Altoids (the medicine of choice for my infected throat, before I went to see the doctor).
-- a couple of CD's that I've been looking for for upwards of three months or so

Unfortunately, my 'cleaning spree' this afternoon has made my room even more of a mess, and now it's time to head off to work and spend eight hours in Chinatown dealing the cards, ogling the waitresses, and daydreaming of world domination. So it looks like my impromptu treasure hunt will yield no more booty until sometime tomorrow.

Until then, it's time to shower, shave, put on my Johnny Cash clothes, and head on down the road. Them waitresses ain't gonna ogle themselves...

Mikey

No comments: