Wednesday, May 28, 2008

For Julie and the Other Mikey

I guess some folks think I'm some sort of Vegas expert, and I get questions all the time about what to do, where to go, and what to see while visiting Sin City.

I'm usually happy to oblige, but I got an email yesterday that had a whole butt-load of questions, so I'm gonna post them here and offer my opinions as to the answers. If y'all disagree or have anything to add, fire away in the comments section.

1) What is the best pizza without having to venture too far (cab fare) off the strip? Without getting too far off the strip, your best bet is Metro Pizza at the corner of Maryland Pkwy and Tropicana, or the outlet at Ellis Island. But if you want better pizza, spring for a rental car and go to either Grimaldi's on Eastern (best pizza in Vegas), south of 215, or NY Pizza & Pasta at the corner of Jones & Sahara.

2) Any great brew pubs - sports bars? Well, you're staying at Monte Carlo, and they used to have a good brew pub. I don't know if the restaurant is still open or what they've got going on in the space or even if it's still open or under construction. My two favorite brew pubs are downtown--the Chicago Brewing Company at Four Queens (and they have absolutely awesome rootbeer), or the Triple 7 Brewery at Main Street Station. And Triple 7 doubles as a sports bar, too. There is also a microbrewery at Ellis Island, but I don't like the way their beers taste. Never had a bad beer at Triple 7, though, and the monthly 'Brewmaster Specials' are great.

3) Hubby is a martini fan - any spots you recommend? My two favorite spots are the Petrossian Bar at Bellagio, or even better, the Parasol Up bar at the Wynn. The new favorite spot with the locals is the Blue Martini down in the Town Center Shops south of Mandalay Bay, near the 215.

4) Any good beer/drink prices in town? Man, I have no idea. When I'm 'doing the Strip', my beer is free. I don't know of any happy hour specials off the top of my head, because of my swing shift hours. Anyone else?

5) Where go I go for a great steak? Doesn't have to be fancy, just good! My faves--The Palm at Caesars in the Forum Shops. They have a great lunch special that'll save you a few bucks. Also, downtown, Binion's Ranch Steakhouse, on top of the hotel--great view, old school ambiance, good prices. If you wanna go spendy, try Craftsteak at MGM--one of the best meals I've ever had. A lot of people rave about the $5.95 steak special at Ellis Island, but I hate it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The $7.77 steak special at Mr Lucky's in the Hard Rock is much better. But it's not on the menu, you have to ask for it.

6) Where should I take hubby for seafood (not my cup of tea) - King Crab & such? I'll let the readers handle this one. My only recommendation is Aquaknox at the Venetian, although most steakhouses sell King Crab legs.

7) Mexican food and margaritas - love them almost as much as beer and pizza - what do you recommend? On the strip, Isla at Treasure Island! Lots of folks like Border Grille at Mandalay Bay, but I don't like it nearly as much. Also, Garduno's at The Palms is a good spot.

8) Any night spots that aren't to trendy for a couple of almost forty year olds from Idaho? Gotta go with the old standby, Voodoo Lounge at the Rio. You can't beat the view, and the drinks are only nine bucks--a bargain compared to most 'ultra lounges'. And you won't have to wait in line with a bunch of poseurs. I haven't been to Tao at the Venetian, but it seems to be one that I would like, too. And I'm a forty year old... Ok, forty one...

9) Any good comedy clubs or acts we should see? I've only been to the Improv at Harrah's. Anyone else got any ideas?


Mikey

No comments: