Monday, May 19, 2008

The Blahs, Explained

Ok, so I had a case of the blahs yesterday. I guess I have an explanation--besides being unable to Man-Up and ice my feelings for somebody, I was kind of sick. I felt a little tired and out of it at work, and didn't really notice that I wasn't hungry all night. Even when people ordered wings and such at the party, I didn't partake. And yesterday, all I ate all day was a bowl of applesauce and some raisins.

So when I got to work last night, I thought I was kind of hungry, so before my shift started, I had some grilled chicken breasts, potato salad, and dare I say it, cole slaw. It all tasted pretty good and I was ready to go out and start my night in Chinatown.

But a couple of hours into my shift, I started feeling really nauseous. Sorry to share it with you, but on one break, I spent the entire twenty minutes in the bathroom puking my guts out. I went back out to the pit, told the bosses that I was *really* sick, and would appreciate it if I could get an early out. Of course, the boss I asked got sick, too, and left, forgetting to pass on my request. So I was stuck there at my tables, feeling miserable, trying to keep from getting sick, sweating like a pig under a heat lamp, and wishing I were somewhere else. It was awful.

My tables were busy, so I figured the entire pit was busy and that's why I couldn't get out. On one of my other breaks, I called my niece Allison and canceled our lunch plans for today--she's in town for a couple of days and we were going to meet at the Grand Lux for some Asian Nachos. That really sucked, because I haven't seen her since last September, and was looking forward to spending the afternoon with her. But man, I just felt like crap.

Finally, around 1:15 this morning I saw a couple of dealers standing around at the end of the pit with no tables to go to and the floor boss scratching his head and studying the roadmap, with a look on his face like he was trying to divide 1739 by 281 in his head. So I got his attention and gave him the universal 'cut me off' sign, and he nodded. A few minutes later, one of the other gals came and tapped me out, and I was free to go home.

Still feeling like crapola, I made a stop at the grocery store for a little bit of my favorite upset stomach miracle drug--Coca Cola. I also got some limes, in the event that I'm battling a case of scurvy. I have no idea what the symptoms are, but I'm not gonna take any chances.

Actually, I figured that a little tot of rum in my Coke wouldn't hurt, and might help me sleep a little bit better. So I finally cracked open that bottle of Hurricane Rum that Lisa Lisa brought me last week and made myself a Cuba Libre. So far, I'm impressed with it. Not only does it come in the coolest bottle ever, but when you pour it, it makes a satisfying 'glug' sound. And the stopper is a real cork, not some ghetto screw-on cap. Oh, and it tastes pretty good also--smooth and mellow, like good Scotch, not overpowering, and not too sweet, either. I'm just wishing I had a good cigar handy to smoke, too. (Those have always made me feel better when I've been sick, believe it or not...)

So as of right now, I'm still feeling kind of crappy--but not nearly as bad as I was early last night.

Oh, and speaking of Lisa Lisa, she gave me a great suggestion for the bacon salt. She said to sprinkle it on toast with butter and peanut butter. Holy shiat--she was right! That's a damn tasty combination. And I've also learned to use it with less enthusiasm--it's still mostly salt, so a little goes a very long way--and I've never been one to salt my food, so I can get by with just a touch. Somebody else also suggested to use it on corn-on-the-cob, which sounds excellent, but my next thing, once I'm able to eat again, is to sprinkle a little on my pimento-and-cheese sandwich. That should be good.

And before I forget--the first person I saw when I was heading out to my first table last night was my gal Michelle--she always stumbles in right before 7pm. So she stopped me in the back hallway and we related our various stories from the night before.

I told her that it was so damn tempting to go do body shots on with her, but I just wasn't thirsty for tequila at the time...

She laughed and confessed that there were no body shots being done, and that she was just trying to shock me and see if I'd show up. Instead, she said her and Nikki (another of our former hottie cocktail waitresses) just hung out and had a water fight instead since nobody else was there at the bar at the time.

Hmmm... Would've been fun, but again, I wasn't feeling very well. At least now I know why.

And since tonight is my last night of work for a couple of days, I'm feeling much better now. I'm going to get some rest today and try to recover, not venturing too far from the bathroom, but I think I'm going to spend Tuesday roasting by the pool and drinking rum.

Mikey

No comments: