Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Keyboard Zombie

Man, I need to wake up. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get it going today. I'm still exhausted from work, and even though I got plenty of sleep, I'm still yawning, rubbing my eyes, and I can't seem to get out of first gear.

Maybe it's time to make a pot of coffee. And get some food in me, too.

After making this morning's post, I was pretty well wiped out, and actually started dozing off while I was watching last night's recorded episode of Deadliest Catch. So I threw in the towel and went to bed around 2:00 am. I still had the ringer on my phone turned off from my evening at work, and I'm glad I did. I woke up around 10:30 this morning to see that I had two missed calls and a couple of text messages.

I was glad I missed them. I needed the sleep. Maybe I got a little too much sleep--I dunno. But I'm definitely groggy today.

But I'm waking up. After typing that last paragraph I got up and made myself a sandie, grabbed some chips and salsa, and poured myself an icy cold Coke. Too late in the day for coffee, methinks. I can tell that's what I needed--a little energy boost.

As far as the recent poker-dealing goes, I discovered a little benefit last night that I wasn't fully aware of early on--I did pretty well on reading hands last night. As in, hands that hadn't been exposed, yet.

When I first got to the poker room on Monday, my entire focus was devoted to the dictum 'Don't F*ck Up'. So I was concentrating really hard on doing a good job and being unobtrusive--kind of like those dealers you see on TV. But once I got the hang of it, so to speak, I only really had to concentrate on the amount of money in the pot--up to $40, because of the rake. After that, who cares? So last night, in the 4-8 game, I started doing a little bit more 'observing'. I could totally tell one guy who was trying to bluff with nothing, and I was right. More than once.

And on another hand, after the flop, I knew exactly what two people had. One guy had trip tens, another guy had a big suited Ace. The tens bet out, the big Ace called on his straight and flush draw. On the turn, another face card fell, the guy with the big Ace check raised, and I knew he'd made his straight. I was thinking the dude with the trips would fold, but he thought about it for barely a second and called. I paired the board on the river, knowing the guy made a boat, and the guy with the straight checked. Of course Mr Full House couldn't get his money out there fast enough, and the guy with the straight, convinced he was beaten, couldn't help but call, if only to confirm his fears.

And I sat there thinking, as I pushed the pot and picked up the cards, Am I the only one at this table that knew exactly what both of these guys had?

There were a few other ones I got right, but that hand really stood out because the guy with the straight also plays in the pit, and I beat the snot out of him at Pai Gow last week. So he probably thinks I am El Cardo del Diablo right about now.

Anyhow, if this poker dealing gig doesn't work out, at the very least I hope that it helps make me a better player.

Mikey

No comments: