Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Jersey Update

Still no word from the bosses on whether or not we can start wearing jerseys to work on the weekends, but that's cool, as I don't have the spare cash to buy one this week anyways. But I've been doing a lot of thinking about which jersey to go with. Since the NFL won't allow me to do a custom Jack Youngblood jersey, I have to go in another direction.

Of course, the Rams are My Team. And I love 'em and root for them. But there are a few caveats to getting a Rams jersey. First of all, I want somebody's jersey who will still be on the team for several years. I don't want to be that drunken jackass that buys a Kendrell Bell jersey that becomes obsolete a couple months later...

And I'm still not sold on Marc Bulger and his prospects for long-term success as the quarterback. I'd *love* for him to do well and be an All-Pro, but I've got a nagging feeling that even though he has a new juicy contract, he's not the answer. (Do you Bears fans buy Grossman jerseys? Not that I'm comparing Bulger to Grossman, but you know what I mean...) So I doubt that I'll be wearing that one. I'd also consider getting a Stephen Jackson jersey, but he's the 'trendy' pick nowadays, and I'm starting to see his jersey on a lot of people--most of whom have never been Rams fans until recently. Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce are out of the question, because just like fat chicks shouldn't wear spandex or thongs, fat white guys should never wear a receiver's jersey. It's just wrong on so many levels.

Rob suggested Orlando Pace, as he's an All-Pro lineman. But I'm still sore at Mr. Pace for his protracted hold-out a couple years back. Brothaman was going for the dollars and isn't playing for the love. He'd never give a hometown discount in the free-agent market, so I won't wear his jersey, either.

I guess I just really had my heart set on Old School players with New School jerseys for the past few years, and I'm just disappointed.

So I'm leaning toward my bandwagon pick--A Reggie Bush Saints jersey. It seems that the Saints are everyone's second favorite team nowadays, and I'm no different. If the Rams aren't going to the Super Bowl, I'd like to see the Saints go. And Reggie Bush is just gonna blow up this year. Not only that, he's the most exciting player in the NFL, besides maybe LT.

But getting a Reggie Bush jersey makes me no better than the better-late-than-never crowd wearing Stephen Jackson's jersey nowadays. I dunno. Maybe I am a hypocrite, but I root for Reggie Bush every week, and that black jersey has a slimming effect... I could use that.

On the other hand, I could just stick with my Rams jersey, and just customize it. I'll go with number 21, and have 'THE COOLER' stitched on the back where my name goes.

I think that would be perfect for work.

Mikey


No comments: