Sunday, September 30, 2007

At Peace

What an exhausting weekend--and it's not over yet. I have worked my ass off the past two nights, and basically just collapsed in a heap as soon as I got home. I hope it's worth it, because the money was only so-so on Friday night, but last night, we were all making good tips and dropping lots of cash in the toke boxes. It felt like the good ol' days of a couple years ago when we'd get close to $200 on busy weekends. I just hope we get a little carry-over tonight, too.

As far as my college football picks go, lets just say I got completely crushed on Saturday. I swear I'm not picking a Big 10 favorite again for the rest of the season. My pro picks are looking good--but at this very moment the Steelers are down 14 points against the spread in the fourth quarter, so it looks like I'll go 3-for-4 today. Not too shabby.

But it's tough for me as a sports fan at this time. Just as soon as the (baseball) Cardinals got hot and closed within a game of the Cubbies and Brewers, they immediately ripped off a nine-game losing streak, thus guaranteeing no trip to the post-season. So even as big of a rival as they are, I'm pulling for the Cubbies to go all the way.

And my Rams. Oh good lord, how could so many people be so wrong about this team before the season started? They are absolutely horrible. Granted, they have no offensive line, Steven Jackson tore his groin (an injury that nobody wants to talk about, much less think about), and Bulger has a couple of busted ribs. So basically, the Rams are put-a-fork-in-them done for the 2007 season, and I can salvage a little positivity by betting against them (like I did today) and making a little bit of cash on the side.

Ain't America great?

But as bad as my two favorite teams are, there are a few bright spots in the sports world. Arizona State is looking strong, and I'm enjoying that 5-0 start they're off to. Unfortunately, they share a conference with Cal and USC. But I'm enjoying the ride for now. And who doesn't love watching that season-long train wreck at Notre Dame? That's got to be the highlight of the college season right now, watching them get their asses kicked every week and seeing that smug-assed Charlie Weis sweat his way through press conferences. Sports pundits like to say that college football is more fun when Notre Dame is good--and they might be right--but damn, it sure is a blast to see them suck so bad, too!

And as a life-long St. Louis Cardinals fan, I absolutely loved watching the Mets collapse. I've hated them for years (and even had a "Mets are Pond Scum" t-shirt back in the eighties), and seeing them completely piss away a seven game lead when they had seventeen to play has put an extra spring in my step today.

So even though my teams completely suck ass, I can take small consolation in the fact that I'm not a Mets fan dialing the suicide hotline today, or a fair-weather Notre Dame bandwagon rider, having to just shut the hell up and sip from a huge flask of Irish whiskey mixed with FAIL.

Heh.

Mikey

No comments: