Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Best Damn...

... Frozen Pizza???

As most of you know, I've been on a quest for the Best Pizza West of the Hudson for several years now. It hasn't been a dedicated pilgrimage, like those dorks in New Zealand with that ring, but whenever I'm out and about and have a chance to try a new pizza place, I usually do, and I usually come away somewhat less-than-impressed. So far, the clear winners are NYPD in Phoenix, and NY Pizza & Pasta here in Vegas. Both are head and shoulders above the competition as far as New York style thin crust pizza is concerned. Nobody else--that I've tried--even comes close.

But living down here in Henderson, it's a huge commitment to drive all the way over to the northwest side of town to get a slice of the good stuff. NY P&P is way over on Jones and Sahara, hell and gone from my southeastern neighborhood. So eating at my favorite pizza joint is a once-a-month treat at best.

What do I do in the interim? Well, there's a Metro Pizza outlet down the street on Horizon Ridge and Stephanie, but even though they make a damn good pie, they are a distant, and somewhat pricey, second. And due to speeding tickets, IRS goons, and shiatty tokes, it's been a cash-strapped summer for me. Eating out is a luxury I haven't been able to afford as much as I'd like to.

But I think I found a decent substitute.

Frozen pizza has come a long way in the past decade or so, but I think it has finally reached it's zenith. I've always been a fan of Red Baron frozen pizza, and will occasionally buy one when they go on sale. I've never liked the expensive Freschetta or Di Giorno varieties--I mean, they ain't that great anyways, so why spend the extra cash? And as tasty and cheap as Totino's are, they don't quite fill the hole when you've got the munchies. I used to like Tombstone, but their quality turned to shiat and they went cheap several years ago and I haven't bought one since.

Anyhow, last week when I was grocery shopping at my local WalMart Neighborhood Market, I saw that they had Red Baron Thin Crust pizzas on sale for $3.75. It didn't seem like a bad price, so I picked up a pepperoni one.

It sat in the freezer for a few days, and then Saturday and all-day college football rolled around. Instead of grilling up some burgers or going through the hassle of making nachos or tacos or something, I just threw that bad boy in the oven, and eleven minutes later I was dining on some damn fine frozen thin-crust pizza goodness. Probably the best frozen pizza I've ever had.

It was certainly better than I expected, so I think it's gonna get a spot in the regular rotation as far as weekend football snacks are concerned.

The price is right, and I don't have to cross the Strip to get it, either.

Mikey

Update: Apparently, I'm not the only one impressed with the Red Baron Thin Crust offerings.

No comments: