Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday For You, Friday For Me

Happy Monday, everyone. I hope you all had a good weekend. Mine was rather dull. Honestly, I can't think of anything noteworthy that happened in the last two or three days, which would explain my vacation from posting.

Well, actually, I had an enjoyable visit with one of my readers, Drew, on Saturday. I picked him up at the Hilton and we motored over to NY P & P for a bit of lunch and conversation. It was good to see him again--last time I saw him was during March Madness when we tried to eat those foot-thick sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli. Lunch was a little more manageable, and cheaper, this time around.

After that, it was back home for a couple hours of nap-time before heading back to another busy night at work. This has been a rough week for me. Once they gave me a taste of that 7:00 o'clock start time, going in at 8:00 pm truly sucks, and I've had both shifts this past week. Luckily, starting tonight, I'm back on the 7:00 pm crew for all of the schedules that have been released.

Last night, however, was one of those dreaded eight o'clock shifts, and when I got off the elevator in the casino, I knew it was going to be a shiatty night. Not only were the fire-alarm strobes going off (for more than two hours I found out later), but the air-conditioning system had also broke down and it was hot and humid as hell inside the casino.

Then I found out that two of my three tables were $5 blackjack, so I was pretty much completely unmotivated to be there. Since times are still tight cash-wise, I told myself to gut it up and just suffer through eight hours. But around midnight I realized that I hadn't taken any early-outs at all in the past week, so I told the boss I'd be willing to go.

I guess the fleas had had enough by then, because we closed down a dice game and about six other tables at the same time, and I was out the door by 12:30, lugging a hand towel that was dripping with my own head-sweat.

I lead-footed it home, passing a burning hulk of what used to be a car on the 215, which kept every Henderson cop occupied so that speed laws were pretty much unenforceable, and took a nice cool shower, followed by relaxing with a bowl of Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream while watching the Steelers/Saints game on the DVR.

Yeah, I know it's pre-season and all, but damn, it was like getting that first piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving--it's so tasty and it's been far too long since I had any.

It's time for bed, and I've got a few errands to run once I get up, but I'll try and post a bit more later this afternoon if the Muse feels like speaking to me. If not, you'll have to wait until tomorrow.



No comments: