Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This Post Isn't For Everybody...

Only the sexy people!

Sorry--couldn't help myself. I just walked in and was listening to my 'Andrea' song--Push It--out in the the truck, and I couldn't come up with a clever title since I've probably used every variation of 'Hump Day' already. Gotta take the inspiration where you can find it, I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for all the well-wishes and suggestions over the past 24 hours, but my back is now much better. I'm not quite 100% yet, there's still a slight twinge there, but I don't feel crippled nor do I gimp around like Quasimodo, either. Basically, I feel fine. And all it took was two Aleve tablets. Dammit, why don't they pay me to do a commercial? Probably because I'm afraid of that shiat. I'll never take more than like four or six of them in a week--I'm worried that it'll kill my liver or kidneys or something like that, so I've always been one to avoid pills. Aspirin seems to be the only drug with no side effects, and apparently it's good for your heart, so I'll take that whenever. But the hard stuff, I try to avoid until I'm good and miserable.

Now that the poker world is slow again, it seems that my hot streak at the tables is over, too. Last week I made over $700 in profit at the cash games, and last night I went down to the poker room to extend my streak, and frankly, I was expecting to make a couple hundred more.

I sat down in the no-limit game with $220, and over the course of the next three hours, lost four all-in hands on the river. Unbelievably bad run of luck. I had each guy covered, except of course, the last one, so I got 'felted' and walked away. Yep, it stung. I was tempted to re-buy, but I was smart enough to recognize that I was running bad. I never made my draws, and my big pairs just kept running into trips. Ugh.

Oh well, like TJ Cloutier so famously said, that's poker.

After getting my ass handed to me on a green-felt platter, I took off, a little wiser and a lot poorer. I was pretty hungry, and that little cup of chili I'd had earlier in the day tasted pretty good, so I had the idea I'd get some more. Sierra Gold serves theirs in a bread bowl, just like the clam chowder, so I motored over there to get some late-night dinner.

Of course, when I got the menu in front of me, I forgot all about the chili and got some sweet-hot popcorn shrimp and a cold Peroni. Here's the thing--I don't really like Peroni all that much, but I've gotten into the habit of ordering it when I'm eating. It's on tap at both Sierra Gold and Grimaldi's, two of my favorite places to grub, but in the bottle, it's just as skunky as Heineken. So all the bartenders think that Peroni is my beer of choice, but honestly, I really don't like it that much. I'd much rather drink Michelob Light with my meal, but nobody in this town offers it--they all changed over to that watery Michelob Ultra shiat.

Anyhow, while I was sitting there sipping my Peroni and waiting for my shrimp, I put twenty bucks into the double-double machine there at the bar and got quad fours for a hundred bucks. Woot! That made my dinner free and covered some of my losses from the poker table. Of course I hit the cash-out button immediately.

I didn't hang around the bar--one beer was enough, and there was nobody fun there. All of my friends were working that night, so I was surrounded by strangers. As soon as I finished my shrimp I paid my tab and split. On the way home, I remembered to hit the Walmart grocery store and finally ended the shaving cream crisis that has been dogging me for several days. I also grabbed a huge bag of trail mix while I was there, just because I've been out for a few weeks, and I usually keep trail mix on hand for whenever I don't feel like cooking.

When I got home, I stayed up for a bit, just because I'm used to being up all night. Searching for something to do, I took the chip out of my phone and hooked it up to the adapter and popped it into the laptop. I put more music and ringtones in the memory, and deleted the six-hundred-plus pictures of the inside of my pocket I took last week, too. Oh, and looking at the files as I deleted them, I found out that took about sixty other ones back in November, too. It's amazing how much memory is on that little chip the size of my pinky fingernail.

Since I have so much free time on my hands this week, I've been trying to come up with little projects to do. I'll always have housework and laundry, of course, and there's still that TV stand that ain't gonna put itself together, but I'm also going to burn a shiatload of CDs to my computer and then put some more playlists on my iPod. I've got about ten of those ultra-lounge CDs now, and I need to get them loaded onto my iPod first--that's a must-have for March Madness.

So far today, I haven't done much at all. Once I got up and got dressed, I puttered around for a bit, then took off to go visit Marcie again. Since I missed out on the chili again last night, I ordered a bowl of it for lunch, along with a pretty damn good BLT. I had a good book with me to read, so she told me to hang out for awhile until her lunch rush was over. So I sat there reading for about an hour, and she'd come by and visit during her lulls.

That's about it for my hump-day. I don't have much planned, but I'm going to spend more time with that book I'm reading, Ghosts At the Table. It's really fascinating, and hard to put down. If you're the least bit interested in the history of poker, it's a great read.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night though--I'll be out having a few beers and telling stories with three of my favorite ladies. But we'll talk about that later...


No comments: