Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hot Chicks, Pizza, & Guitars

Yep, that's pretty much the Holy Trinity as far as I'm concerned!

I've had a wonderful day, and I'm dog tired, kinda glad that things are slow in the poker room tonight so maybe I can get a full night's sleep.

First of all, I managed to catch about five hours of sleep in the morning when I got home from work, which was nice. Once I got up, I showered and got dressed and motored over to the O-House to have lunch and visit my favorite gal. I did a sneak-attack and grabbed a table in her section without her knowing it, so I surprised her when she came out of the the kitchen.

My lunch was really good--I had a bowl of chili with cheese and onions (it's right up there with Binion's, only less greasy!) and a grilled cheese sandie. It was really good and although I thought it might be too much, it hit the spot and I was able to finish the meal. And I got to the restaurant at the tail-end of Marcie's shift, so once her shift wound down, the little room in back where I was sitting was pretty much abandoned, and she came out to sit and visit with me once she got done working.

I felt bad for her though--her cold had gotten worse and she was starting to run a fever. But taking a sick day is out of the question. And by the time her day ended, her voice was starting to go, too. Not fun at all, but even so, it's always nice to be able to spend some time with her.

We both cut out of there at the same time, she went home to rest, and I came home to try to do the same, but little things kept popping up that needed my attention, and before I knew it, it was after 5:00 pm and I had to shave and get dressed and head down to Grimaldi's to meet my gals for dinner.

Before I left, I got a message from Sarah (Miss 408Down) saying that she wouldn't be there--she had a doctor's appointment. Of course, I called shenanigans on that, saying no doctor was gonna see her at 6:00 pm unless there was a flaming rash or something like that...

But she lit me up and told me that she had a valid excuse. Her doc is up in Summerlin and the appointment was at 4:45 and there was no way she'd make it to Grimaldi's in time. So she got a pass. This time.

So we were one-down for the night. I was the first one to get to the restaurant, so I grabbed seat at the bar and ordered a tall cold Peroni draft. I got about two inches down the glass when the Kri-Monster drove up in her bitchin' Camaro Jeep. She joined me at the bar and we had a few laughs while we waited for Linda and Carmen.

Linda wasn't far behind, so we went ahead and got our table, asking the hostess to seat us as far away from any children as possible, in case of the off-chance there might be foul language and lowbrow humor emanating from our merry band.

Of course, we had the most faaaaaaaaaabulous waiter in the joint as our server, and yeah, he was a little irritating. You know the type, just a little too friendly and talkative, and doesn't quite grasp the concept of 'unobtrusive'.

Carmen showed up right after our waiter made his introduction, and then the party was ON! I gotta tell you--sitting there at the table was so much fun--it was like four comedians were having dinner together. I wish somebody would've been videotaping it, because we sure have a lot of laughs when we get together. Had Sarah been there, it might've been off the charts. Probably a good thing she wasn't, because it would suck big ol' donkey balls to get banned from Grimaldi's.

As it turns out, I totally spaced on bringing my camera with me, so Carmen is the only one with photo evidence of the evening's activities. As soon as she emails me some copies, I'll post 'em up. But we weren't there just for the laughs--we had to get our grub on. We ended up getting three pies--one cheese, one pepperoni and mushroom, and Carmen's 'meat lovers' with ham and sausage.

When the waiter said Oh, I just love sausage!, it was about all we could do to keep from laughing our asses off and saying something wildly inappropriate. I looked around the table, and to see us, it was like looking at four different dams about to burst with off-color jokes. But we didn't embarass ourselves. This time.

The pizza, as usual, was outstanding, the beers kept arriving, and the conversation was quite entertaining. Again, it was one of those evenings that you wish you could just put in a bottle and uncork whenever you need a little pick-me-up.

After we finished eating and the leftovers were boxed up, we sat and chatted for quite awhile. Of course, since Sarah wasn't there, we had to talk about her, and I got the brilliant idea that we should send her a text message letting her know what she'd missed out on.

The best we could come up with was I hope that speculum was ice-cold!

Heh--big laughs all around. I'm thinking it was much funnier on our end... Not two minutes passed when we got her response. Ewwwww!

Anyhow, that's pretty much how the night went--lots of laughs, lots of good food and drink. Once we settled the tab, we all went our separate ways, saying goodnite in the parking lot. But the Kri-Monster said she had something for me. So I walked over to her Jeep and she pulled out a shiny Ibenez acoustic guitar!

Wow--so cool. It was pretty and it sounded nice, and it even had a set of brand-new strings on it. Times are kinda tight right now, so it was cool that Kristen provided me a guitar to wail on until I'm able to get a new one of my own. And now I have to practice and shiat--I've got to re-learn all that stuff I've forgotten over the past five years. So tomorrow I'm gonna go rooting around in the garage and look for my strap, a tuner, some picks, and all my old practice notebooks.

Once I got home, I messed with it for a bit, but yeah, my fingers are all wussie and tender now, so it's gonna take some time.

I also checked in with Marcie to make sure she was doing ok and didn't need any medicine or anything, and yeah, I'm gonna go back and have lunch with her tomorrow. And on Thursday we'll start getting her extra stuff moved into storage.

For a guy that only works about ten hours a week now, I sure seem to be busy... I guess it's time for bed--I need my rest.

Mikey

No comments: