Monday, January 05, 2009

Soon Enough, I'll Be Bitching About the Heat

1:30 in the afternoon, and it's only 41 degrees here at the house on the Henderson hillside. Too farkin' cold if you ask me. And I don't wanna hear from you clowns up in places like Minnesota or Wisconsin telling me how cold it is. Y'all chose to live there. I chose to live in the desert, and dammit, it's not acting like one.

But like most critters that dwell in the desert, I have to adapt. So I've got my flannel sheets, a big-ass comforter, and a pot of hot coffee handy. I just ate two granola bars and there is a can of cashews on the shelf, so I could stay here quite comfortably for some time. Although I'd like to get out of the house at some point, see the sun, and interact with humans away from the poker tables, too.

After all the stress, and the long workday, I came home and crashed hard last night. Again, I woke up only because the phone was ringing this morning (I'm afraid to turn it off, now).

I'm pretty sure I won't have to work the next day or two (slow week), so I'm gonna get off my lazy ass and get the damn entertainment shelf put together--yeah, it's been leaning up against the wall, still in the box, for a month. And I'll finally hook up my DVD player, too. I guess that's the side effect of having so many good books to read--movies haven't interested me. But since I've got about 10 new DVDs, I better get after it.

I did, however, finally watch a movie that I'd recorded about two months ago. I swear, I must've been the last person in the world to see Superbad, and it was getting to the point where it was fun to see people's reactions when I said I hadn't seen it yet. But it was there on my DVR, so I watched it late Saturday night.

I thought it was good, but not as great as people made it out to be. There were lots of funny lines, and some great dialogue, but the whole side-story with McLovin and the two cops was so over-the-top stupid that it completely wiped out my suspension of disbelief and bordered on slapstick. And for the most part I hate cheap slapstick comedy. I prefer clever comedy--for instance, you'll never catch me watching a Jim Carrey movie, but I thought O Brother Where Art Thou was one of the funniest things ever written. (But then again, I can only take the Coen brothers movies in small doses).

So yeah, I saw Superbad. I laughed a bit, but I don't think it'll make it into the collection. Role Models was funnier, I thought.

Mikey

No comments: