Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It Kinda Feels Like A Day Off

... although, it's not. Just as the rest of you are going to sleep tonight or gettin' your freak on with that special someone, I'll be getting ready to head back to the poker room. The clock on the wall mocks me with it's daily countdown to the inevitable. That's the downside of working non-traditional hours--instead of getting up in the morning and going to work like normal folk, I keep looking at my watch all day and thinking Ok, how many hours of free time to I have left? It's a sucky way to live, I gotta tell ya. I don't think I'll ever get used to it, and I've been working swing shift or graveyard for almost four years now.

But my day has been rather productive--I got a lot done and currently own a fine sense of accomplishment. Aside from the things I *had* to do today, I drove over to the Omelet House for lunch and got to visit with Marcie for a bit (damn, there's something about that ponytail!). While I was there I had a pretty good bowl of chicken noodle soup--it had lots of celery and carrots and totally hit the spot. Even though it's a sunny and bright day here in Vegas, the wind is blowing and it's not even 50 degrees outside, so a hot bowl of soup warmed me right up. My only gripe is the fact that all the chicken was the white meat. Don't get me wrong--I love chicken breasts, but they're not the most flavorful part of the bird. The thigh and leg meat makes for a richer broth, I think, and whenever recipes just use chicken breasts, I think they always lack some zip. Hell, even the nuggets at McDonalds suck now that they won't use any dark meat.

But the soup was still really good, not to get off on a reckless tangent... After my soup I had an All-American burger--just a plain bacon cheeseburger, loaded with pickles, lettuce, tomato and thousand-island dressing. It was actually much better than expected, so it was a pretty satisfying meal. I may go back again. Heh.

When I got home, there was a package from the UPS man waiting for me. Last week I bought three CDs on sale at Amazon--more of the old-school lounge music that I like so much--and they arrived today. I'm listening to the first one right now. I like it quite a bit, but this CD has a bit of duplication going on with my current music collection. But how can you go wrong with stuff like Louis Prima, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, and Bobby Darin? It's great background music, and makes me wish I had a leopard-skin lounge chair, a martini, and a gal with go-go boots, a hairband, and a minidress with a full-length zipper up the back keeping me company...

Anyhow.

My brain is fried a bit right now, and it's almost bedtime, so let me post a couple of pics that I have on the memory card in my camera and call it a day...


Here it is, one of my fave spots to have breakfast:



That's not a palm tree. It's a cellphone tower in the parking lot behind the Omelet House.



I took this the other night after I got blown out of the tournament at Binion's. It's the crowd on the balcony at Gold Diggers. I fully expect Angy to get tossed out of there in March.


A rainy night on Fremont Street.



Mikey

No comments: