Kellee posted this little New Year's quiz up on her site the other day, but I didn't get around to doing it until now. Here ya go, just in case you're interested in even more minutia regarding my life...
1) What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? Drank Absinthe. Reminded me of Sambuca and turpentine, with a green tint. Also, I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower. No, not that one, the other one.
2) Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My only resolution was to improve my job situation, which I did, but mostly by falling into it. I wasn't really proactive about it at first until the opportunity presented itself. I'd call it dumb luck more than being a go-getter. As far as resolutions for 2009 go, I'm actually still working on a list. But I won't publish it here, because I know I'll fall waaaay short and don't need you jokers to remind me of it.
3) Did anyone close to you give birth? No, but I haven't ridden the bus in years.
4) Did anyone close to you die? Sadly, yes. My brother-in-law David passed away last spring. We all miss him very much.
5) What countries did you visit? Countries? Hell, I only got out of Nevada once, and that was just to Arizona.
6) What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Health insurance. A decent and regular work schedule.
7) What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 20th. That's the first time I ever made over a thousand dollars in tips in one day.
8) What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting out of the pit, and doing something for a living that I really enjoy.
9) What was your biggest failure? Nothing really bad happened to me this year, other than a few minor missed opportunities here and there. That one big poker tournament at Binion's last summer where I was the first one knocked out still kinda stings whenever I think about it. Epic fail, as the kids like to say.
10) Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope. Just the usual twice a year head cold.
11) What was the best thing you bought? Prescription sunglasses
12) Whose behavior merited celebration? The Mysterious Ali. Just what I needed, right when I needed it.
13) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Probably my own, if I think about it for very long...
14) Where did most of your money go? Truck payments, IRS, and the DMV.
15) What did you get really, really, really excited about? March Madness, the weekend in Phoenix with my buddies, the possibility of time off this Christmas.
16) What song will always remind you of 2008? That god-awful Say What You Need to Say song by John Mayonaisse. I hear it in the casino constantly. By the way, that chorus repeats itself 48 times throughout the course of the song. I actually counted them one morning.
17) Compared to this time last year, are you:- Happier or sadder? Happier. 2008 was actually pretty good for me. Thinner or fatter? Thinner, surprisingly enough. The last round of clothes-buying was one size smaller than usual. Richer or poorer? Hmm... Well, I have a lot less debt, my income is better, but the uncertainty factor dangles over me like the sword of Damocles. Richer, I guess.
18) What do you wish you'd done more of? Naughty things with cocktail waitresses.
19) What do you wish you'd done less of? Gone all-in with Ace-King or Ace-Queen.
20) How will you be spending New Year? I worked all night.
21) Did you fall in love in 2008? Only with Bacon Salt .
22) How many one-night stands? Enough to brag about with my buddies.
23) What was your favorite TV program? The Unit, Deadliest Catch
24) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? A certain douchenozzle who plays in the poker room regularly.
25) What was the best book you read? Freakonomics. Really interesting stuff.
26) What was your greatest musical discovery? Old-school Lounge music. Can't get enough of it. Love it.
27) What did you want and get? A new digital camera
28) What did you want and not get? Time off at Christmas to go back to Nashville
29) What was your favorite film of this year? I didn't see that many, but Role Models entertained me the most.
30) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 41, had dinner at Grimaldi's with friends, then late that night met up with Kimmy for drinks and quality alone time. Good times.
31) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Full-time status at work.
32) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Once you go black...
33) What kept you sane? Copious amounts of rum. And that stupid LOLcats website. I don't know why, but I find that shiat insanely funny.
34) Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Nicole Hiltz
35) What political issue stirred you the most? The same one that always stirs me. Taxes.
36) Who did you miss? Amy. Funniest person I know.
37) Who was the best new person you met? I'm leaning towards Marcie here. There's definitely a slight spark. Besides, the omelettes aren't that farking tasty.
38) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: Quit stressing... the money will always show up just in time.
39) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: If it doesn't work out there'll never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain...