Friday, January 09, 2009

The Law of Unintended Consequences

I may do a lot of writing these next few days, just to play catch-up. It seems that with everyone being so generous this past Christmas sending lots of books and movies, well, guess what I've been doing with all my free time.

It ain't been writin'.

Yep, if I've not been working or sleeping, I've been watching movies or working my way through the stack of books on the nightstand. I'm making good progress and feeling quite entertained.

But I figured I should probably give the ol' website some attention.

I just got home from work, and it was a total joke. I got there at 1:00 am, and there was one single no-limit game going with just four players. And since there were three dealers, I was told that I had to take the first break. I was ready to just say the hell with it, because I knew the game wouldn't last an hour. But one dealer got sent home, and the one who was going back in to deal said he'd take the rest of the night off and give me the game. So I didn't have to take a break, and sat down to deal at the top of the hour. And the dealer that clocked out bought into the game, making it five-handed.

But it only lasted 45 minutes, and it was a sucky 45 minutes at that. No action at all. And nobody's tipping on a ten-dollar pot, either. So I made a whoppin' $22 for my time. Woot.

The previous night was much better--once I got in the box, I was dropping tokes at the rate of a buck a minute, which is great--I'll take sixty bucks an hour anytime! But then the fish got busted out at by 3:45, and the game broke by four. Ugh. That particular golden-egg-laying goose only lasted three hours.

So I've got four hours on the books this week, but that puts me at the top of the on-call list for the weekend. I'm sure I'll pick up another shift. And next week I'll probably get some overtime--they've got that company-wide freeroll tourney with 2000+ players, and I'm stuck dealing it. Crappy money all around--I'll be working 16 hours for minimum wage next weekend across town at another casino in a tourney where nobody tokes--there's no entry fee, and no opportunity to buy more chips with proceeds going to the staff like in most tourneys. From what everyone tells me, it's a miserable experience, and the five dealers with the least seniority get sent off to work it. Since I am at the absolute rock-bottom as far as seniority goes, I get the shiat samminch once again. On the flip side of that coin, that leaves our poker room short-staffed, so I'll likely have to come back and work for some real money afterwards.

Anyhow, I guess the point of all that is that December was a bit of a feast, but January is firmly back to the famine half of the cycle. Not much buffoonery for me for awhile.

But all is not lost--tonight I'm off to meet Linda Lou, one of my readers and fellow Vegas-bloggers. She's either hosting or performing some comedy in a lounge down off the Strip, so I'm gonna go down and show my support and ply her with wine, hoping that we have a few laughs and both get some material out of it. And if I'm not called in this weekend, I'll probably meet up with Drew for a good meal somewhere.

That's about all for now--I think I'm gonna go watch a movie or something.


No comments: